IPad?

IPad?

by mike - 06:53PM, Apr 24, 2010

I was wondering if there might be an ipad version. Also, would it be possible to make it sync-able with the desktop version?

Eric

09:15PM, Apr 24, 2010

Hi Mike,

See this thread:

http://forums.circusponies.com/categories/4/posts/12958

Particularly, Jayson’s post from April 9th.

The short answer: Yes, we are working on an iPad version. No time frame for delivery yet. :-)

---

Regards,

__Eric
Circus Ponies Software, Inc.

DavidNM

04:41PM, Apr 28, 2010

Noob to this forum. I’m so glad that I saw this – I sent a note to Circus Ponies on April 6th and got a note back that it’s on the radar but they don’t comment on anything. I’ve been busy looking at Omniplan and Omnifocus. If something is happening with Notebook – thank god!

Peter K.

01:51AM, May 01, 2010

Thanks for sharing.

Tom Leissl

07:24PM, May 11, 2010

I can only second other users. I’d love to have an ipad version of Notebook, so I can open docs on my ipad and sync the two. Thanks.

Roddles

11:45PM, May 12, 2010

Please, I WANT an iPad version, I could leave my Macbook at home for meetings!

danrhiggins

02:09PM, May 18, 2010

Please, please, please. The iPad screams for a good app for taking notes in meetings and in class. Something that provides good, fast text capture. With at least bullets/numbering and hopefully some basic form of easy indent/outlining.

Too many of the limited note taking apps for the ipad are fixated on adding images, etc. That’s cute. But when you are racing to capture the key thoughts of a meeting or class you are not going to be inserting images or voice.

And you don’t want to have to point at the screen all the time to move things around like in Pages. You need to be able to type as fast as possible, quickly indent or outdent. Have bullets and hanging indents, etc.

No one does this yet. There is a void of good meeting/class note taking apps and whoever gets there first with a functional and attractive app will win. I would easily pay $10 or more for an app like that.

Eric

05:35AM, May 19, 2010

I’m not sure if the several last posts have overlooked my original post in this thread, but, to reiterate, Circus Ponies is working on an iPad version of NoteBook. We’re not yet sure when the iPad version of NoteBook will be available, but we are working hard to bring it to market as quickly as possible.

Thank you for your feedback and patience.

---

Regards,

__Eric

Christos P. Kessaris MD

04:27AM, May 31, 2010

Well Notebooks for iPad was released May 29 and is trying to imitate the Circus Ponies!
I hope we see the circus ponies on the ipad soon, in the meantime we will play with the Circus-oids!!!!!!!!!

Earl Babbie

10:42PM, Jun 09, 2010

I’ve been using CarbonFin Outliner on the iPad.

It syncs to the cloud, and you can see your outlines there.
https://cfoutliner.appspot.com/

If you download an outline as OPML, it opens up automatically in Notebook.

I don’t know any way to edit back and forth between the iPad and your desktop, but at least you can capture your work on the iPad.

It’s not the greatest outliner, but I’ve done a fair amount of writing on it, not to mention some checklists.

Joe King

08:23AM, Jun 10, 2010

As soon as Notebook is available on the iPad I will definitely be straight down to my local Apple store to buy an iPad! I run my entire office on Notebook so we need it on the iPad ASAP. Thanks for producing a fantastic piece of software. Keep up the excellent work.

Earl Babbie

02:36PM, Jun 10, 2010

The unspoken context for my earlier comment about CarbonFin Outliner was:

What to do while waiting for Circus Ponies to
give us a real Notebook for iPad.

Please hurry.

Anthony

03:48PM, Jun 11, 2010

”We’re not yet sure when the iPad version of NoteBook will be available, but we are working hard to bring it to market as quickly as possible.”

This was in May. The iPad is here NOW. If you can’t come up with a date, I might move to “Things” or some such other package

Jayson

05:55PM, Jun 11, 2010

Hi Anthony,

We’re still working hard on the iPad version of NoteBook, and we’re excited about its progress to date. Here at the Apple Developers Conference I’ve had Apple people in engineering and marketing ask me to e-mail them when it’s ready, and that’s because there is nothing comparable to NoteBook on the iPad. Two years ago with NoteBook 3 we announced a ship date and disappointed customers when we couldn’t meet it. We really hate disappointing our customers, so that’s why we no longer discuss ship dates for upcoming products, but I will say that NoteBook for the iPad will be worth the wait.

Best,

__jayson

meitnik

06:22PM, Jun 11, 2010

Go, jayson, go!

This is the killer app that will make the wait for an ipad for me later this fall worth it! Btw, please find a way to grab hiliting/notes/bookmarking from ibooks too.
Here is my ideal workflow I have been wanting for 30 years:

set in comfy chair with good lighting
read/annotate any book (ibook??) on an ereader
Pull in those annotations into Notebook on same ereader for further study and organization
next pull in my organized notes from Notebook into a word processor (Pages??) to write a paper/blog

---

digital scholar at work with NB!

Christopher

12:04PM, Jun 13, 2010

I so deaparately need an ‘i’ app version. I use Notebook at home on my iMac but saddly I am not able to really use it for what I would like to or to it’s full potential, because I have to use pc at work. IPad version will be just what I need to fill the void. I would suggest that allowing social media intergration – so that it was possible to post a note to a blog. Or update a status. That would be epic.

motleymuse

02:41AM, Jun 15, 2010

As the original poster on the first iPad thread (I think), I’m thrilled that there will be an iPad version of Notebook. Thanks, Jayson! I completely understand the decision to not give a release date… but is there any chance you could give a vague estimate (i.e., are we talking later this summer, months, a year)? It’s hard to know whether to continue kluging together solutions until Notebook comes out for the iPad, or to explore converting some of my notebooks to other apps for the interim, however reluctantly.

I do hope the iPad app will include the ability to work with many attachments, even large ones, and to sync large notebooks with attachments. One of my many disappointments with Bento for the iPad is its size limitations. I use Notebook to manage an entire general music curriculum for grades 1-8 and the ability to view and edit this document on my iPad would be invaluable.

Anthony

11:38PM, Jun 15, 2010

Agree with motleymuse – are we talking about days, weeks or months?

schalliol

11:13PM, Jun 22, 2010

I’m in a similar boat. I’m a grad student and trying to figure out workflow for the Fall. I’m pretty sure we’re not talking days, and probably not weeks.

DMainville

08:57PM, Jun 23, 2010

Hi, i am in desperate need of a combination notebook/to do list for my IPAD.

I have tried EverNote and Penultimate as well as a few others and none have given me everything i need which is: – sync between Mac and Ipad (even Iphone) – Draw with stylus, type, record voice, clip from web, multimedia such as photos – robust “To Do” check list – Multiple notebooks / nested notebooks – global search

I’ve generated a stack of spiral bound notebooks a mile high over the years and would much rather go all digital.

The IPAD allows me the mobility of a paper notebook with the power of a computer.

My wife is a circus ponies user/fan and the only thing that stopped me from getting it is that i don’t take my laptop everywhere i go. I would take my IPAD to every meeting.

I would get Circus Ponies today for my mac if i was confident that it would sync with any upcoming IPAD version.

David

magic_halley

02:32PM, Jul 02, 2010

Hello,

I would love to have an NoteBook iPad App, perhaps with integration of that:

Pressure Sensitive Sketching on iPad fron Ten One Design:

http://www.macrumors.com/2010/07/01/pressure-sensitive-sketching-on-ipad-demoed/

And: “they plan on releasing their code as a free software library so it can be included in any App Store app”

Andreas

terryd

04:02AM, Jul 12, 2010

I want my Notebook on my iPad!

For me, a WebDAV sync or Dropbox sync would be ideal. I’d love to be able to work between my Mac & my iPad easily. For example, I’m the Comm Officer for local Search & Rescue .. All my docs, mission checklists, & logs are in Notebook. I’d love to take that on my iPad so I can operate from anywhere. I’ve looked hard, but haven’t found a better, more integrated way of doing what I need.

Anthony

09:02AM, Jul 14, 2010

Another month and no news. What’s happening???

magic_halley

07:51PM, Jul 14, 2010

Yes, DROPBOX would be great!!!

Andreas

Jayson

10:26PM, Jul 14, 2010

Another month and no news. What’s happening???

Hello,

As I’ve mentioned previously, NoteBook is not a trivial app, and so creating a version of it for the iPad is not a trivial undertaking. We are hampered by the lack of technologies like a full-featured text engine and are having to rewrite them, to some degree, from scratch (right now, in fact, I am working on the text ruler). For a little more perspective, I recently learned that it took the iWork team 18 months to get their apps running on the iPad. It should not take us that long with NoteBook but the point again is that real apps take real work to get running on this new platform.

Please know that we are working as hard and as fast as we can to bring NoteBook to the iPad. I’m excited about the progress we’ve made so far, but there is still a ways to go to bring you the product you’re all expecting. Take care.

Best,

__jayson

meitnik

10:02PM, Jul 17, 2010

Keep up the hard work Jayson! I believe in your talents. Notebook will shine bright. I am struggling to save up for an ipad this fall and to get NB for it. I have been wanting this for over 30 years to help me with my disabilities. I can taste this. Go, man go…

---

iSeeThis

03:19AM, Jul 23, 2010

Jason, we (okay, may be just I), want the version with bug. The one that you’re excited about the progress. The one that is not completed yet. Please sell to us $0.99 on App Store. It will be a big relief!

Bill Brown

06:09AM, Jul 27, 2010

Jason. Keep hammering away at it. Sign me up as a beta tester for Circus Ponies for iPad. Not much competition out there yet and not much use for a desktop-tethered notebook after people have experienced the power and freedom of iPad.

magic_halley

10:27AM, Jul 30, 2010

Yes,

you can sign me up as a beta tester for Circus Ponies too.

I am using my iPad for my job as a sales manager, so I have do to a lot of Work with the iPad all the day.

In the Moment I use MomoNotes, but I would like to have your NoteBook, because it would give me much more options.

Thanks

Andreas

demon

08:19PM, Aug 07, 2010

Quick note to Circus ponies staff,
Just want you to know that I alongside with other users of this forum believe in the quality and usability of your notebook so much that my purchase of an ipad will depend on whether notebook can run on ipad and sync with notebook on my mac. To be able to take all the notes created on my mac with me throughout the day to various meetings and places and update or make the odd note on an ipad would seriously improve my efficiency in my work and life and make sure that I stay organised when away from my laptop.
I know you are working on it and I am sure it is not an easy project but I look forward to it`s release and then I`ll buy an ipad.

TerryAustin

03:17PM, Aug 08, 2010

Jayson,

I would also like to volunteer as a beta tester for the iPad version of Notebook. I’m an educational power user, part of the technology development team on our campus in addition to being both department chair and professor in the Biology department. I’ve done quite a bit of software beta testing in the past and run a number of pilot programs bringing both hardware and software onto our campus. I’ve been a user of Notebook on the Mac for quite a while now and as with many others in these forums I would like to help get this powerful tool onto the iPad as soon as possible.

Best,

Terry

Eric

03:36AM, Aug 09, 2010

Demon: thank you for the support, we appreciate it very much!

Terry: the best way to contact us regarding being a potential tester is to write directly to support here. Thank you for offer.

---

Regards,

__Eric

Whicfo

09:28PM, Aug 14, 2010

I have been a notebook user for several years – Since I got my Ipad I have found I use it 80% of the time and I am looking forward to using notebook on my Ipad.

I would love to be included as a beta tester – please include me on the list.

Tomasz Stasiuk

04:01AM, Aug 17, 2010

Hey Jayson,

Just want to cheer you on!

Is it in the plan to sync via dropbox?

Thanks!
Tom

abesascha

03:03PM, Sep 01, 2010

Hi Jayson,

I’ve been working several years with notebook and and I am looking forward to using notebook on my Ipad :-)

I would be pleased, therefore, if I also have the option to get participate in the BETA test.

If you need more Information about my person, please contact me.

Greetings Sascha

Jayson

09:22PM, Sep 03, 2010

I’ve been working several years with notebook and and I am looking forward to using notebook on my Ipad :-) I would be pleased, therefore, if I also have the option to get participate in the BETA test.

Great! Please contact us at support.

Best,

__jayson

Chris S.

08:33PM, Sep 21, 2010

Is there any update that Circus Ponies can provide on the IPAD version – I certainly realize that a lot of work is involved and appreciate that you cannot provide a status update daut once in a while an update to keep us all interested seems warranted.

I woudl love to have a general idea of timing especially for the beta version.

Christos P. Kessaris MD

11:27PM, Sep 23, 2010

Pls release CP for iPad, we need it yesterday!!!!

iSeeThis

04:37PM, Sep 24, 2010

Yes, and seriously, I need it in this December to do my job in Las Vegus. Do I have any hope for it?

Jayson

08:02PM, Sep 24, 2010

Hello,

There is no update other than it’s really coming along and we are working super hard to ship it.

Best,

__jayson

uncle_tom

02:48PM, Oct 12, 2010

Hello Circusponies Team

I fully appreciate the fact that you are not yet mention a potential release date for the iPad app in order to manage our expectations correctly.
I was just wondering whether there are some “specs” somewhere!? Maybe I’ve missed it on the forums or your website. I am an enthused NoteBook user on the MBP and would like to understand what the iPad version will look like. Is it a more or less copy of the OS X version, or a trimmed down version due to limited iOS functionality? Are there any specs around you can share with us?
Me for myself I wouldn’t expect a full-blown version but would be happy with more of a “companion product” approach e.g. take, store and transfer notes from ipad to my NoteBook OSX version. I understand other users wouldn’t agree with that functionality spectrum.

Can you shed some light on this?

Thanks for developing such great product(s)!

Jayson

06:55AM, Oct 13, 2010

I am an enthused NoteBook user on the MBP and would like to understand what the iPad version will look like. Is it a more or less copy of the OS X version, or a trimmed down version due to limited iOS functionality?

Hello,

To the question of what level of functionality NoteBook for iPad should have, some have suggested we go for a stripped down version (as you say, just take, store and transfer notes). The problem with this approach is that by the time you make it possible to open Notebooks, display their content, and make changes to that content, you have/require the majority of the application. Further, if you say, “just show me the outline and don’t worry about shapes/attachments/sticky notes/etc.,” the person who has some important note tucked away in a shape/attachment/sticky note is out of luck.

So the approach we have taken is to create a “full-blown” version of NoteBook on the iPad, and the result is pretty much the complete Mac version. The iPad has limitations, so there is some functionality that isn’t currently possible, but overall I think this is the product everyone wants (and expects from Circus Ponies) on the iPad. I think you will be blown away.

We still aren’t ready to talk about ship dates, but I can tell you that we are getting close!

Best,

__jayson

uncle_tom

02:36PM, Oct 13, 2010

Jayson,

thanks very much for that quick and precise “answer”. I think myself and all other NoteBook users are thrilled by your reply and really look forward to the iPad release.
Let me allow one comment or wish for the functionality here. I find most of my iPad apps geared towards productivity (including iWork suite!) very cumbersome IF you tend to also work with a desktop/laptop computer a great deal of the time with regard to CONNECTIVITY/DATA EXCHANGE.

Apple has in my opinion not done a good job there with the bottleneck iTunes as data exchange. Also to build-in a webserver in the iPad app where you can login via an IP address is most of the times either cumbersome or does not work in a corporate LAN environment. I myself have no solution but would wish you pay special attention to that aspect of the app. I would guess 2/3 of the future iPad NoteBook users also use laptops/desktops and NoteBook there as well, so make it easy to exchange forth and back files/information.

Thanks for your consideration…uncle tom

lnijs

09:42AM, Oct 14, 2010

patiently waiting to buy an ipad. Maybe it will even have a camera…

meitnik

01:24AM, Oct 16, 2010

go jayson go! :-)

---

armaduk

11:18AM, Oct 16, 2010

Two features that would be critical for me on the iPad version are stylus/handwriting support and the ability to use an external projector.

I use Notebook on my Macbook with a projector as a “digital blackboard” in my classes and it would be great to be able to do that with the iPad instead.

I understand that the ability to use a projector is application dependent and currently only some iPad applications have it.

Also, a better way to organize handwritings (resizing, moving, attaching to a cell) would be very useful (see my other post this).

MacBookMan

07:59PM, Oct 18, 2010

Add me to the list of people excited about NoteBook for the iPad, as I use my iPad almost exclusively now. I’ve been waiting eagerly for OmniOutliner to be released, but this is even more exciting.

I’d like to also chime in with armaduk—I am a teacher, and having video out enabled (inc. airplay) would be awesome in the classroom.

Thanks!

keepfit

06:39AM, Oct 19, 2010

Would love to see this app available as I use Notebook for Mac extensively and wish to start using the iPad in anger. Must have bought or seen just about every note taking app out there for the iPad and real time synch of actual content is a must have.

Please keep me on the list of very interested parties for this release which I am really hoping will be very very very soon

Thanks

Eric

08:08AM, Oct 19, 2010

By the way:

Please keep me on the list of very interested parties for this release

If you purchased NoteBook via the Circus Ponies online store or have registered your license key (if you purchased the retail box), you are already on the list to be notified. :-)

---

Regards,

__Eric

Christos P. Kessaris MD

11:53PM, Nov 16, 2010

So how close are we to the release of iPad CP?
C P Kessaris MD

Jayson

08:20PM, Nov 17, 2010

So how close are we to the release of iPad CP?

That’s a good question because there’s no way to tell for sure, because there’s no way to know how long the app approval process will take.

On our end, though, we are very close.

Best,

__jayson

Mopac01

09:13PM, Nov 17, 2010

I’m very encouraged if we’re now talking about how long the app approval process is going to take. Maybe in time for Santa….

Dawn

05:05PM, Nov 21, 2010

I joined the forum specifically to add my voice to the chorus of people cheering you on, Jason. I just got an iPad and it won’t be fully useful until I can use Notebook on it. It’s one of my top 5 most important and useful applications. When I add reliable and user-friendly, it might be #1. I appreciate your commitment to putting out a good quality product. I hope the app is out in time for Santa!

Caneiro

05:55PM, Nov 25, 2010

I am not sure if anyone noticed – but in the January 2011 MacWorld Magazine there is an advertisement for Notepad for iPad. the URL is not live yet – but it is on page 51 and the URL is listed as www.cirusponies.com/iPad.

The text is as follows:

There really is a santa claus!

The most-powerful notetaking software for the mac now on your ipad. Takes notes in a full-featured outliner, and format them your way with multiple fonts, colors, even attachments. When words won’t suffice, construct diagrams or sketch your ideas. Use voice annotation to record the audio of meeting and lectures so you never forget a detail. Organize and mark up class notes and other PDFs. Tack figures and perform calculations using live tables. Locate anything using NoteBook’s patented Multidex. All within a natural and familiar notebook interface. Move your notebooks between your mac and ipad for full desktop and mobile access.

I have a feeling it will be out very soon…

MacBookMan

08:51PM, Nov 25, 2010

Sweet! I’m ready to buy! If anyone finds an online version of the MacWorld add, please share!

Chrisi

10:28PM, Nov 26, 2010

The link says

“Thank you for your interest in NoteBook for iPad.

Please check back in early December” so watch out…

Macrumors, talking about next version of iPad also…

Charles McKnight

09:55AM, Nov 29, 2010

Would be nice if Dropbox integration was supported too. :-)

meitnik

04:02PM, Nov 29, 2010

Um, Jayson, will there be an iphone/touch version coming? Or is the iPad the only idevice you will support?

---

Eric Martin

01:08PM, Nov 30, 2010

That would be great. Notebook for iPad. I recently bought one and i am already looking forward. I hope it will come soon.

ahoutzer

02:31PM, Nov 30, 2010

So…

Tomorrow (early December)?

meitnik

12:50AM, Dec 03, 2010

ok, got my ipod touch 32g now…um, Notebook please :-)

---

cubic.archon

01:14AM, Dec 04, 2010

Ooh!

http://www.circusponies.com/notebook-ipad/take-great-notes

Christos P. Kessaris MD

01:30AM, Dec 04, 2010

Dear iPad Circus P Community:
Today is a historical day
The iPad Notebook is near
Merry Xmas

Mopac01

10:22PM, Dec 04, 2010

Is there an Ipad Notebook user guide that I can look at in preparation for this release? I’ve had Notebook on my Mac for some time but have not started using it yet. It wouldn’t really be useful until the iPad counterpart came out. So I’m not really familiar with even the Mac version yet. I suppose I could start with the Mac guide but if there is a guide that focuses on the iPad then I’d rather start there.

MacBookMan

11:59PM, Dec 04, 2010

You can download the guide for the Mac version here:

http://www.circusponies.com/notebook-downloads

I swear by Note Book when lesson planning. Give it a try—it’s a little overwhelming at first with all of its features, but it has ended up being the most productive app on my mac.

Mopac01

01:14AM, Dec 05, 2010

MacBookMan – thanks for link, but I’d seen that one and my question was more specifically whether there WAS an iPod guide. As I mentioned in my post, I’d prefer to start there than on the Mac, as I think most of my notebooks will be created there and “consumed” only occassionally on the Mac side. The Mac side will really wind up being more of a “repository” for notebooks that I no longer am actively using.

Eric

09:46AM, Dec 05, 2010

The User Guide for NoteBook | iPad is a special Notebook that is included on the iPad and accessed from within NoteBook | iPad. So it’s currently tied to the app. So unfortunately, it will not be available until the app is available on the App Store. Hopefully soon, willing Apple’s approval!

A separate PDF version might be useful as well. I’m not sure if we’re planning that, but I’ll inquire and if not let it be known there is interest in that.

---

Regards,

__Eric

rbripley

08:41PM, Dec 05, 2010

YES! An iPad version of NoteBook. How COOL is that? I’ve been checking the Apple Store regularly, hopefully NoteBook for the iPad will be released soon because I can’t wait. Thanks Jayson for this addition to the NoteBook family!

meitnik

09:52PM, Dec 05, 2010

Please Eric, will Notebook run on an ipod touch latest model? thanks

---

Darrell

05:03AM, Dec 06, 2010

Will there be a version for the iPod Nano with Multitouch? That would be awesome.

;-)

meitnik

06:15AM, Dec 06, 2010

That was not called for..I had an honest request – and yes NB could do well on an itouch; didn’t need a smart-ass reply. Grow up.

---

dhylton

02:46PM, Dec 06, 2010

iPad syncing … ?

i’m a little confused here. i have notebook running on my office mac and my macbookpro. with these, i can “sync” via having the notebook file stored on mobileme’s iDisk.

i have an iDisk app for my iPad, but the iDisk doesn’t seem to be available to any of the apps on the iPad. of course, those apps are specifically written for the iPad so perhaps they simply don’t have any type of user-level filesystem access. but i’m also unclear on whether the iDisk app simply gives me net-level access to the iDisk (ala webdav) or if it syncs the iDisk contents to the iPad itself.

with the iPad version of Notebook allow me to access the file stored on the iDisk? if not, how will i be able to sync between the iPad and my other computers?

i almost hate knowing in advance that the app is on its way … watching/waiting the last several months have seemed like several years. i think that says a lot about the Notebook app. thanks for your hard work and such a great product!

dhylton

02:53PM, Dec 06, 2010

one more question … what will be the name of the app?

the app store already has “Notebook” which is most certainly not of the Circus Ponies flavor …

Eric

08:58PM, Dec 06, 2010

Hello Meitnik,

NoteBook | iPad is an iPad-only app so it will not run on the iPod Touch. As you may know, there has been quite a bit of interest in an iPhone/iPod Touch version of NoteBook (but not nearly as much as for iPad!) and this remains on our radar. In general, we do not comment of future product plans. Thanks for expressing your interest and support.

---

Regards,

__Eric

meitnik

09:50PM, Dec 06, 2010

Thank you Eric. Sigh, more waiting…. well, I will start saving up for an ipad 2 ;-) But know am here to help beta-test an itouch version too! :-) Keep up the hard work and making cool tools…

---

Jayson

11:54PM, Dec 06, 2010

one more question … what will be the name of the app?

It’s called Circus Ponies NoteBook for iPad. I believe on the App Store it will show up as Circus Ponies NoteBook.

Best,

__jayson

Eric Martin

05:32PM, Dec 08, 2010

We are waiting eagerly. Keep up the great work. Eric Matin Wessels

Christos P. Kessaris MD

09:34PM, Dec 09, 2010

What’s the delay all about?

MacBookMan

11:33PM, Dec 09, 2010

Christos -

Once an app is submitted to Apple, it usually takes Apple 7-10 days to review and approve an app.

Basically, it will be available now when Apple gives its thumbs up.

Christos P. Kessaris MD

12:07AM, Dec 10, 2010

Thank you
It is very obvious that all of us are ready to buy it instantly!

ray

08:42PM, Dec 10, 2010

Checked the iTunes app store today and found nothing. Will keep checking.

mdiamant

04:06AM, Dec 11, 2010

This is too exciting. Checking the itunes store obsessively

Faith Anderson

02:09PM, Dec 11, 2010

This is so great. I have been hoping they would create an iPad app.

ray

05:23AM, Dec 12, 2010

No appearance as of Saturday night.

I know many, or most, are checking the iTunes store regularly, or “obsessively”, as has been stated. But in the euphoria of actually finding Notebook there, someone might just forget to let the rest of us know it has arrived. I’m only checking once per day, I try not to obsess about much, but I’ll let you know what I find if no one else has. Sometimes searching the iTunes app store is quirky! Like when you click on the app store, enter a search and still get albums, songs, videos and everything including apps!

ray

05:03AM, Dec 13, 2010

Nothing.

Demos Kratos

11:53PM, Dec 13, 2010

NoteBook, NoteBook, NoteBook!

Patiently waiting; hope it lands in time for my presentation this week :)

Leonard

12:11AM, Dec 14, 2010

I read the posts but I am still unclear as to how or if the notebooks on my Macbook Pro and my iPad will sync? Thanks

Swanie

05:01AM, Dec 14, 2010

Can’t tell you how much this will round out my iPad experience. Anxiously waiting and checking.

ray

06:25AM, Dec 14, 2010

No sighting tonight.

I wil echo the query mentioned above. Is there any ability to communicate or sync between Notebook on my Mac and the Notebook that will reside on my iPad – when it finally arrives in the App Store? The products page does read that both Mac and iPad versions will open the same documents, but not how they will get back and forth.

Perhaps Jayson or Eric can chime in now that they’ve got Notebook for iPad to Apple and are sitting back, just waiting for the accolades to roll in. Thanks.

Demos Kratos

12:17PM, Dec 14, 2010

As do ray and Leonard, I would also like some more information on how NoteBook’s sync functionality will work.

cez1

05:12PM, Dec 14, 2010

It’s looking like it might have come back to CP for tweaking. Still anxiously awaiting …

MacBookMan

06:56PM, Dec 14, 2010

Has it really gone back to CP for tweaking (or is that just a guess)? Patience truly is a virtue.

sigh

cez1

07:12PM, Dec 14, 2010

Just a guess at this point. I’m figuring it was submitted around Dec. 1st to 3rd, which puts us a little too far past the standard 7 to 10 day review.

However, It could also be a busy time for App reviewers as well, who knows.

Eric

07:33PM, Dec 14, 2010

Remember that Apple lets their employees go home on nights and weekends (for good behavior, at least!). :-)

The review period refers to business days.

We appreciate everyone’s patience!

---

Regards,

__Eric

mdiamant

07:39PM, Dec 14, 2010

Hi Eric – I’m sure i speak for everyone when i say THANK YOU for keeping us updated :)

Christos P. Kessaris MD

08:11PM, Dec 14, 2010

it should be near…, the iPad section of CP website is not accessible!!!!!!!!!!

ray

09:29PM, Dec 14, 2010

Christos – I had an experience where the iPad pages seemed to disappear as well, but I reloaded and they came back. Try that. I just reloaded the products page and they were still there.

Eric – any comment on the communicability between Notebook – Mac and Notebook – iPad?

cez1

03:13AM, Dec 15, 2010

Cheers Eric, I just figured they worked them around the clock 24/7!

Thanks for the response!

Christos P. Kessaris MD

03:14AM, Dec 15, 2010

?????

ray

05:05AM, Dec 15, 2010

Nada – although I had one of those out of body experiences that computers sometimes give us. When I returned to this discussion, I saw that a member had posted a comment at 8:56pm that read “It’s here!” Then when I updated my page, again, that comment was gone. Needless to say, I went looking everywhere I could and was writing a passionate plea for directions when I found out it was gone. Probably a cruel trick by Mr. Gates!

rbripley

06:11AM, Dec 15, 2010

Now it is online and ready to purchase – hooray!

Thanks for all the hard work CP folks.

cez1

06:19AM, Dec 15, 2010

Thanks CP!!!!

meitnik

07:05AM, Dec 15, 2010

now to get an ipad ;-)

---

meitnik

07:12AM, Dec 15, 2010

OMG Jayson you raised the bar very high for anyone else to do a notebook, well done! And thank you for not needing to convert desktop nbs to view, edit and round trip with. Well done…Jayson you will become very rich with this app!! I had long believed you would make the killer app for students. Now to twist some arms for funds for my birthday ;-) Jayson, you rock!!

---

Caneiro

07:42AM, Dec 15, 2010

I bought the iPad product. Love it so far. Would love drop box support. I don’t like to rely on iTunes to move files back and forth. Being able to open and save to dropbox would make this even better. I store all my notebooks on dropbox so I can access the latest versions regardless of my location. Having to use iTunes forces me to have to check in and check put notebooks to ensure that I don’t end up out of sync,

Any work arounds?

Timmy

10:34AM, Dec 15, 2010

Caneiro,
For wired syncing I use PadSync http://www.ecamm.com/mac/padsync/. Works great to sync the most recent file. The only negative is that on the Mac, you have to open the file through PadSync, because it is kept in a special folder. But once you do this, it offers syncing of the most recent file. And when it is confused, it lets you choose on which end to sync.

I use it for all the iPad apps that use iTunes syncing. It’s simple and effective. I did change the app icon, because it was a bit ugly. :)

uncle_tom

11:09AM, Dec 15, 2010

Jayson, you kept the promise. EXCELLENT JOB. Thank you so much.

sassijay

11:09AM, Dec 15, 2010

ray i put ‘it’s here’ and it was. i’m not bill gates although for financial reasons wish i was. i live in the UK. I’m not sure why my post was deleted!

WolfUK

11:16AM, Dec 15, 2010

Excellent work, thank you guys and I can now delete all of the other note taking apps I’ve tried.

I’d also like to see Dropbox support for managing documents.

nick101

11:57AM, Dec 15, 2010

Thanks v much for this. Trying it now.

I too would like Dropbox sync please please please, but I know you can’t do it all at once.

cez1

04:02PM, Dec 15, 2010

Hi CP,

Again, I’ve been waiting for this for a while and am very excited to finally have it. My first impressions are very good, and the wait was well worth it!

I do have suggestions, comments and requests (+1 for Dropbox!) and I want to make sure that this is the right place to share, or would you prefer an alternate form of communication?

Cheers and well done!

ray

04:47PM, Dec 15, 2010

sassijay, I know it was you who put it there, but I didn’t want to put your name in the post in case you’d sipped a little too much cognac and deleted your post after you sobered up.

I went to the iTunes Store and searched high and low when I saw that post but could not find Notebook then, but have now. Perhaps they released it in the UK first?

Funny, I’ve been agonizing over which bible reader to pay $2.99 for, or which calculator to pay $0.99 for, or which other notebook apps to pay $1.99 for, and now I plunk down $30, more than any other app, without thinking about it – much.

sassijay

04:58PM, Dec 15, 2010

ray, i don’t even have an ipad, but Love the notebook and would now love an ipad!

ray

05:19PM, Dec 15, 2010

Timmy, thank you for that “Tip”, PadSync seems to be what I’m looking for. Although I’m having a problem with Notebook on the Mac crashing when I try to open a notebook I’ve synced with PadSync, I’m sure it’s just figuring out how to do it.

sassijay, it’s a great piece of equipment. Save up, it’s worth it.

Christos P. Kessaris MD

05:27PM, Dec 15, 2010

Congradulations but….
Please make the iPad version more independent eg to add PDFs from other PDF apps of the iPad!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It is very important, we should not have to carry a laptop with iTunes!!!!!

Michael

05:37PM, Dec 15, 2010

Congratulations on getting the iPad app approved. I would also vote for dropbox synching as something that is pretty critical to my use of it (I use it as a lab notebook at work).

Matt Webb

06:52PM, Dec 15, 2010

First, let me congratulate Circus Ponies on awesome product and I understand not everything can be included in the initial version of an application.

However, add me to the chorus requesting Dropbox (or Mobile Me, or something like that) support as well as being able to import files from other iPad apps (as much as the iOS environment will allow it). Also, the ability to print would be key and export your notebooks as pdfs directly from the iPad without having to load them back onto my Mac and then export from there. I use my iPad at work and unfortunately my office is not a super Mac-friendly environment—as a result, I need a way to get my iPad notebooks (or at least a pdf of them) into my work Windows environment relatively easily.

Thanks!

iSeeThis

08:51PM, Dec 15, 2010

So glad finally I see it on App Store 5 minutes ago.
So sad it doesn’t support Dropbox.
I’ll be buying it anyway. Just glad and sad at the same time :-(

Caneiro

09:27PM, Dec 15, 2010

I will try that syncing program recommended above – thanks Timmy. I am concerned that Ray is having problems – so I am going to wait for the all clear before I give it a spin..

Regarding dropbox – when using the dropbox client on the ipad – the Notebook appears as a folder. I was trying to see if anything could be done to register that extension (.nb?) as a file type with dropbox so it will hand it to Notebook.

https://www.dropbox.com/developers

Too complicated for me – but perhaps someone can figure out how difficult this would be..

Demos Kratos

10:16PM, Dec 15, 2010

I can’t comment on how great an app NoteBook for iPad is (eventhough I know it is lol) because I can’t unlock any of my NoteBooks on the iPad! The passwords work on the NoteBooks I access through my MacBook but no luck with unlocking them on the iPad.

Anyone else had this issue, or willing to shed some light on it? :(

Ohh and +1 for Dropbox support too.

EDIT: Removing the password sorted the issue, I don’t think NoteBook for iPad likes letter-number-punctuation combination passwords or maybe it is me!

thespinner

10:24PM, Dec 15, 2010

I would like to add my congratulations and thanks to CP for getting their excellent Notebook app on the iPad.

But…2 problems as far as I’m concerned:

1. Syncing. Agree with everyone else we need Dropbox support. When I read the requests for info from the devs about syncing my first thought was please offer more than Apple’s pathetic efforts with iTunes syncing…Thanks Timmy for the padsync tip, I’ll give that a try

2. Pricing. OK you’ve probably given a lot of thought about pricing but this is the iOS world. £17.99 in the UK is going to mean your only customers will be those using the desktop version (and not all those will have an iPad or will buy the app). At that price you’re never going to appear in any Top Ten list and as such will not expand your customer base. Lower app price = more iPad customers = possibly more Mac customers

Having said that am I going to buy, of course I will as I’m an avid Notebook user on my Mac. But will my friends and colleagues buy when I recommend Notebook for their iPads – not when they hear the price.

Eric

11:02PM, Dec 15, 2010

First, thank you all for your kind words! Much appreciated! And as always, your feedback is also appreciated. We may not always get to respond here, but we are listening.

Demos: if you’ve not already, please submit your password/encryption issue directly to technical support here. We’ve seen a few other reports of this nature and would like to address it directly with you so we can figure out what is happening and what can be done to correct the problem. Thank you!

---

Regards,

__Eric

Max

11:41PM, Dec 15, 2010

Synchronisation via Dropbox would be nice.

But IMHO functionality is missing without the ability to add documents from emails and send documents via email. This should be a cinch to implement…

An even bigger problem for me is that the entire app crashes every time I try to copy and paste a page via the index. With this bug, I can’t duplicate pages and hence templates are as good as useless.

Things I like:
- Selecting multiple items! This just works, exactly as it should. Hold one and tap the others to add them to a group. Brilliant.
- The multidex.
- Outlining and rearranging has been done very nicely (except for the crashing bug).
- Putting ‘Last Edited’ in the margin.
- The sketcher works well.
- The geometry template ruler for add shapes metaphor. In fact, the entire overlay system works very nicely.

Things I don’t like:
- The ‘staple’ in landscape mode is unintuitive. I spent quite a bit of time trying to work out how to use it but it still never does what I expect. Maybe a more detailed ‘how to’ would help?
- I can’t find a way to set all the fonts in a notebook to one I like – I have to set each one.
- Even after I’ve set the default font for a page, Notebook uses its own choice of font when I add a new item!
- Similarly for page backgrounds – I can’t choose to change all the backgrounds in a notebook/template, I have to change them one by one, and I can’t set a new notebook to my preferred default because I prefer a customised (pale lines) version.
- The program is frequently sloooow. Even loading the template select page seems to take ages – does it redraw all the template previews every time (rather than using cached thumbnails)?

Things I would like to see in future:
- PDF & text export.
- Dropbox support.
- Email/attachment support.
- Save to template.
- Tabs for navigation (I’m surprised this was left out of the iPad version – they’d work so well and are part of what makes CP Notebook feel like a real notebook!).
- The option to universally change all page types and fonts in a notebook (both new and existing).
- ‘Bounce’ enabled when scrolling pages. Currently there is no way to know when trying to scroll whether I’ve got to the end of a page or whether I’ve grabbed an element instead of scrolling.
- Speed improvements.
- Price. This is the most expensive iPad app I have bought by far, at AUD $37.

mdiamant

11:58PM, Dec 15, 2010

Great program, excellent V 1.0. Can’t wait for the improvements. A few questions:

1) how do you DELETE a page you’ve created?
2) How do you get documents INTO notebook on the ipad. I see the place where i’d select them from but i’m not sure how to get them there to start.

MacBookMan

11:59PM, Dec 15, 2010

Jason, Eric,

I used Notebook on my iPad today to have my detailed lesson plan and board work on hand in class. It was amazing to have an outline with images and checkboxes in my hands.

Thank you soooo much for this!!!

Also, the new controls (that look like pencil marks instead of circles and triangles) are gorgeous to look at—I hope they make their way as an option in the desktop version of the program.

I’ve come across an issue opening one of my older notebooks (over 1gb in size due to attachments), in which the attachments cannot be opened. (Nothing happens when you try to open them). Are you guys collecting issues like this? Or, perhaps, is my notebook just too big and maxing out the capabilities of the iPad?

Thank you again!

cubic.archon

02:50AM, Dec 16, 2010

It’s a very creditable piece of work, and I’ve got no issue paying professional prices for it (after all, I use Notebook professionally, and I paid more for Omnigraffle which I’m sure I will use less).

There are definitely a few bugs, but one expects them from a 1.0 version really – I’ve submitted the big ones I’ve noticed via the support web form and hopefully they’ll be sorted out soon. I plan to write a review in the next day or two.

As for additional features, as with people above I’d like to see Dropbox (and/or iDisk/WebDAV) import/export/sync, as well as export through means other than iTunes – note that not everyone who uses CPN iPad will have CPN Mac, and they will want, say, PDF export via email, or maybe HTML to a web server, that would be innovative for an iPad app.

I’d also like to see the ruler actually remember its previous state – it’s a complete pain when in landscape, it pops up whenever you enter text edit no matter whether you’ve removed it before and eats up a big chunk of the screen. And some different node markers which show whether a node is expanded or folded (I don’t really like the “handwritten” stars and dashes at all in any case). And stickers and highlighting addable from the iPad. And snappier typing, it’s a little laggy right now.

But it promises to be an absolutely essential iPad app for Mac users – and good job on getting it out before OmniOutliner for iPad, too!

meitnik

03:16AM, Dec 16, 2010

Any one willing to writing up a detailed tech review comparing desktop NB to ipad version with regard to missing features/editing? I really need highlighting to work and highlighting in search/index etc and stuff. Thanks

---

repete

04:13AM, Dec 16, 2010

Well, no wonder it took so long. ;) Great job.

Would be nice if you could find a way to import items (such as pdfs & jpgs) without having to go through iTunes. For example, within GoodReader, I can send documents to another app on the iPad (such as iBooks or DevonThink). GoodReader will close, the other app opens, and the document is now added to the other app.

ray

08:45AM, Dec 16, 2010

Eric and Jayson,

I’ve been playing with Notebook on my iPad for part of today and, other than the PadSync issue which I’ve routed to them for information, found it to be a very powerful program.

I agree with a comment made above that you have limited your customer base with the price you charge. Many will never look at the features list or scroll down to the number of stars (which may be negatively affected by the price – I’ve seen some stupid reviews) to gain the insight as to why this is a killer app. But that is your business decision to make and enough said.

Now to my disappointment with Notebook. When I had a ModBook, I used the handwriting recognition in Notebook all the time. I was very disappointed when, based on your comments above that this would be a full blown version of Notebook, I found that this great feature was missing. It works very well, as mentioned above, in Writepad for iPad, a $10 app. Please tell me handwriting recognition is a feature you are working on for an update.

ray

08:56AM, Dec 16, 2010

For those of you who haven’t noticed. They’ve heard many of your comments.

On the page http://www.circusponies.com/recent-changes-notebook-ipad they have a list of fixes and a change they are working on. Check it out to see if your problem is listed there.

The biggest complaint above is listed as a future change and reads:

“These changes are planned for a future (near-term) update
° Dropbox support.”

iSeeThis

05:13PM, Dec 16, 2010

My original font is 24 but and I see it 24 on iPad. But what the matter is when I edit or append text, it turns out to be 14. This doesn’t make sense. Please correct it. thx a million. (in case it relates to the problem, I use Thai font.)

Demos Kratos

07:52PM, Dec 16, 2010

Thanks Eric, I’ve submitted report to technical support.

Other than that NoteBook for iPad is truly in a league of its own, nothing…nothing comes close.

I managed to use it for a presentation at University today (my first professional use of the app other than playing around with it) and everything ran smoothly.

Despite the bugs mentioned above (especially the speed response one) I could find no other faults. Anyway, this is only v1 and for a first version, the app is top notch!

terryhatmaker

08:42PM, Dec 16, 2010

I have to say a CONGRATS! This is the product I have been for on the ipad. I realize that this is a 1.0 release so I do not want to damper enthusiasm with a few comments, but first the things I like:

1. I think the price is well worth the breadth of this product. This is a professional product that deserves a professional level price. I was ready and willing to pay!
2. I am amazed that I can bring in my Mac based notebooks and they work, even though there will be some items listed below that I would like to see added.
3. I love the interface (except the landscape mode). It is great to have the ability to change fonts like a word processor.
4. I am so glad that the shapes and the ability to tie lines between them are present in this release.
5. The outlining is the key to me! I have been using Outliner and now it is off of my iPad!
6. I love the audio capability like the desktop version!

Things that I think need to be changed:
1. The landscape mode really does not need to be a 2 page view. I would like to be able to click on a button at the top and see the Table of Contents and see an entire page to work.
2. I think it would be great to add handwriting support like Note Shelf or Note Taker including Palm protection.
3. DropBox support is a necessity to me as well.
4. I think TextExpander support is very important.
5. Speed, there is definitely some optimizations that need to be made, but this is a 1.0 release and grace is definitely on the table.
6. I would ilke to be able to add PDF, images, etc from Dropbox, ReaddleDocs, e-mails, etc.
7. It would be nice to have the ability to add links to e-mails like we have in the desktop version.
8. I would like to be able to e-mail a page or divider to others as a PDF.

Even though the needed list is longer than what I like, the key is that I love this product overall and it has taken a place in my ipad dock!

Thanks for a great product!
Terry

Eric

10:02PM, Dec 16, 2010

Thank you for you kind comments and support Terry.

1. The landscape mode really does not need to be a 2 page view. I would like to be able to click on a button at the top and see the Table of Contents and see an entire page to work.

You can do what I think you want right now. In landscape mode, drag the center page shadow area to the left or right to alter the amount of each page you see. If you drag the shadow area all the way to the left, you’ll be able to work on a single page in landscape view.

To return to viewing two pages, drag the shadow area on the left edge of the screen toward the center.

---

Regards,

__Eric

Christos P. Kessaris MD

03:34AM, Dec 17, 2010

So how soon can we expect PDF autonomy?
Thank you

terryhatmaker

04:32AM, Dec 17, 2010

Eric,

This is what I am doing. The reason I brought up another method is due to not being able to adequately see enough of the page. However, I must be the only one thinking this way.

Still love it. Waiting on speed boost!

Christos P. Kessaris MD

05:09AM, Dec 17, 2010

Dear Friends
The PDF annotation part is not working
The system crashes whenever the PDF is added for annotation (previously incorporated through iTunes)
Also the PDF when added for annotation at times is just a blank page document!!!
Only if it is added just to read is OK
Lots of work to be done
I believe in you though

Jayson

08:19AM, Dec 17, 2010

My original font is 24 but and I see it 24 on iPad. But what the matter is when I edit or append text, it turns out to be 14.

Hello iSeeThis,

Please file a bug with support, with an exact set of steps to reproduce the problem. That’s the only way we’ll be able to look into it.

Best,

__jayson

Jayson

08:26AM, Dec 17, 2010

I was very disappointed when, based on your comments above that this would be a full blown version of Notebook, I found that this great feature was missing. It works very well, as mentioned above, in Writepad for iPad, a $10 app. Please tell me handwriting recognition is a feature you are working on for an update.

Hello,

NoteBook for iPad is a “full-blown” version of NoteBook, but is limited by the technologies that Apple has provided on the iPad. One of the technologies that’s part of Mac OS X but not part of iPad is handwriting recognition (known as “InkWell”). So that’s why there is no handwriting recognition in NoteBook on iPad. If Apple adds InkWell or an equivalent to iPad we will support it. Obviously the Writepad app is doing it’s own recognition. If we were to find some h.r. technology that works, and if the price was right, it’s something we would consider adding to NoteBook on iPad.

Best,

__jayson

Jayson

08:31AM, Dec 17, 2010

Dear Friends The PDF annotation part is not working. The system crashes whenever the PDF is added for annotation (previously incorporated through iTunes)/ Also the PDF when added for annotation at times is just a blank page document!!! Only if it is added just to read is OK.

Would like to address these issues, but we need you to file bug reports using our support page. Thank you.

Best,

__jayson

Jayson

08:58AM, Dec 17, 2010

I have to say a CONGRATS! This is the product I have been for on the ipad. I realize that this is a 1.0 release so I do not want to damper enthusiasm with a few comments, but first the things I like:
1. I think the price is well worth the breadth of this product. This is a professional product that deserves a professional level price. I was ready and willing to pay!

Thank you!

2. I am amazed that I can bring in my Mac based notebooks and they work, ...

I am too :-)! That was the goal and it really was a tall order. Notebooks can be quite complex, and there’s really no part that you want to leave behind. For example, if we tried to settle for everything but attachments, there would be someone out there who has an important note stuck in an attachment that they can’t access on the iPad. Same for shapes and more.

We also set as a goal the ability to open any Notebook, no matter how large (and there are some large ones out there, with lots of large images on each page). The iPad has really limited memory, so it was an incredible challenge to meet this goal. Please let us know if there are any Notebooks that don’t open. We also want to know more about the slowness that people have reported, with sample Notebooks if possible (but please, none of this to the forums – we need bugs filed at support!).

I’ve mentioned before that NoteBook is 250k (carefully chosen!) lines of code, and the bulk of that code is required to open and display Notebooks. We didn’t want to write all of that code from scratch so we had to find a way to get it to work on iPad. And then there was the small matter of there being no multi-font text engine for developers to use to display and edit text on the iPad. That meant we also had to write our own text engine, complete with support for attachments! To those not in the know, that is no small undertaking. So when someone commented on the forums that it had been two months since we had announced NoteBook for iPad and where the heck was it I about choked on my cornflakes! Porting the code and developing the text engine took from February to June, and then the work really began of putting an iPad app face on top of it all.

Things that I think need to be changed:

Eric addressed the landscape issue, and I talked about handwriting in another post. The other things we’re definitely looking at.

Even though the needed list is longer than what I like, the key is that I love this product overall and it has taken a place in my ipad dock!
Thanks for a great product!

That is great to hear!!

Best,

__jayson

Eric

09:07AM, Dec 17, 2010

Hello Terry,

You wrote:

This is what I am doing. The reason I brought up another method is due to not being able to adequately see enough of the page. However, I must be the only one thinking this way.

If the single page view in landscape mode is not working for you, please let us know via the Support page with more detail about what is not working for you. We’d like to better understand that.

Thanks!

---

Regards,

__Eric

meitnik

04:16PM, Dec 17, 2010

Jayson, I assume then ability to do full highlighting and searches based on highlight color is still there in ipad version?? Is there a pdf manual for the ipad version I can read??
I know a thing or two about text engines, and they are a wicked, evil thing to have to recreate and test. I hope Apple had helped you on that ;-)
My xmas wish for you is apple use your app to help market the ipad :-) Keep it up, good man!

---

KIltedGreen

04:50PM, Dec 17, 2010

Thanks for your insights Jayson – the bit about the “2 months and where is it!?” had me in stitches – some people really don’t have the slightest clue about software development…

And rewriting the text engine!! Now that sounds extreme but when you have a vision of what you want you have to make it happen. Hats off to you.

I’ve not bought the iPad version yet, but I will very soon indeed, and it looks like the missing piece in my iMac/iPad app combos as all my other favourites have their iPad counterpart.

Having watched all three videos it looks as though you (and your team?) have created a superb iPad implementation. I can’t wait to download and get going.

Thanks again to all at Circus Ponies for all of your hard work – and my comments will certainly be going on the iTunes Store.

DLC

06:41PM, Dec 17, 2010

LOL, Has anyone mentioned the need for Dropbox support? That’s a joke, I’ve read all the requests. However, I want to toss in my vote as well. For better or worse, Dropbox is the tool I use to share my files with myself and my friends. I use it every day with many of my applications, It simplifies most of my sync problems, i.e. I only have one version to worry about. Notebook is one of the two or three most used programs in my arsenal. But…until I can use the master notebooks that I store in dropbox, the iPad version won’t get near the use that the desktop version and other iPad note apps get. I want to make the iPad version my master mobile information database, but I can’t without Dropbox compatibility. Until then, I will stick with the other iPad apps that I use for that kind of information.

Now, having griped about that, let me say thank you very much to the Circus Ponies team for developing and releasing Notebook for iPad. Once the bugs are ironed out and Dropbox support is added, this is going to be one killer iPad app.

ray

06:57PM, Dec 17, 2010

Based on my background, I don’t have a great deal of confidence in web based services, so I have an aversion to Dropbox. But it sounds as if many of you have been using it with great success.

I have been playing with PadSync and it seems to be working fairly well, with some limitations. It is only $10 and allows you to sync Notebooks and many other documents between the Mac and iPad. It has a trial version you can experiment with for a week. http://www.ecamm.com/mac/padsync/

I must say, I have also encountered the delays mentioned above and would like to see response improvements as well, but I like the interface and find the staple a functional mechanism. Pressing the name of the notebook in the center of the pencil gives me a drop down list of contents. And sliding the center of the landscape page seems to work for me. Perhaps a settings option for one or two pages in landscape?

Thank you for the explanation of the handwriting challenge, but I still miss it very much. I love to doodle and switch, with a click of the stylus, to note taking by hand during a meeting.

Marcus SOMMER

07:55PM, Dec 17, 2010

1. Great Work. Cheers! I wouldn’t have dared dreaming of so many features included.
2. Requests:
A. Speed improvements possible? My main NB has 40MB w/ pictures.
B. Possibility to search in page only? My NB has 40MB hence MultiDex slow.
C. Possible to display multiple keywords?
D. Poss ti give diff colors to diff keywords?
E. Poss to add icons like “keywords”?
F. Poss to link items to external / internal items?
G. Which export capabilities are planned first?
H. Advanced syncing in terms of usability (no wires)?

Marcus SOMMER
@ipad

DLC

10:31PM, Dec 17, 2010

Ray, you are not alone in not having much confidence in web based services. I am def old school in most computer matters, but I have found Dropbox to be an outstanding service. It is clear to me that no one is going to write the perfect sync software….I’ve had more syncing problems than any human should ever have to deal with. So, I figured I would take a chance on Dropbox and make the syncing be nothing more than all my computers use the same files…one at a time of course. I keep a weekly backup of the most important ones on a different drive, but for things like Notebook, word processing documents, spreadsheets, etc., the work copy is on Dropbox and thus far has been available any time I need them, and from anywhere I am. I have one master copy that is always in sync when I get it from Dropbox. Just my two cents.

Macmanuk

11:40PM, Dec 17, 2010

Hi there just wanted to say that padsync is working well for me to sync my notebooks. I’m not sure that dropbox would work that well especially on large notebooks.

I find the only thing I would really like is a HTML or PDF export of the notebook or specific pages via email or iDisk and then I would be a happy man. These features are available on a few other iPad apps so i would like for them to make their way to notebook for iPad in the future.

Thanks I now have really excellent access to all of my classes lessons and teaching materials anywhere!

MacBookMan

12:45AM, Dec 18, 2010

I’d like to caution people who are using PadSync and even iTunes Sharing for quickly swapping notebook files between your Mac and iPad.

I have data loss in the following scenario:

1) I edit a notebook file on the iPad Version of NoteBook.

2) I exit notebook on the iPad by pressing the home button

3) I then either a) sync via padsync, edit the notebook file on the Mac, then sync with padsync again OR b) copy the notebook file to my mac via itunes, edit it with Notebook for Mac, then copy it back to the iPad (overwriting the old version on the iPad with the updated one)

4) Then, when I re-open Notebook for iPad, I still see the OLD version. And it seems, if I exit Notebook for iPad again, the old version on the iPad overwrites the new version permanently. (If you are using padsync, the changes made on the Mac side are simply erased).

I’m not sure what’s causing it—Maybe Notebook for iPad works on a cached version of the file, and this cache is overwriting where it shouldn’t?

This can be controlled by giving each updated version of a file a different name.

Or maybe I’m doing something wrong?

Thanks!

-Tim

McG

06:59AM, Dec 18, 2010

This is a great product from what I’ve seen so far, and with export options (I trust they will appear sooner rather than later?) it will be well worth the pricetag. I know Dropbox support is on the way, but I’d really love to see export as PDF/email attachment, export/import from/to other apps like iAnnotate/Good Reader/Evernote.

Also, I don’t know if this is even possible, but I’d love to see keyboard shortcuts for things like text style (e.g., ctrl+b to bold) and to undo indents (shift + tab), etc. I use a Bluetooth keyboard to take notes and speed is key. Keyboard shortcuts are much faster than tap screen edits. It might pie in the sky, but I’d love to see any updates that enhance the speed within the app.

Finally, when I tried to open an iPad nb on my Mac, it made the sticky note and all the shapes black, and I haven’t been able to figure out how to change them, so you can’t read the text within those shapes. This must be a bug.

Thanks for the great work on this app!

Eric

08:12AM, Dec 18, 2010

Hello McG (and others),

Thanks for your comments! Much appreciated!

To reiterate, please share your specific thoughts and feedback directly with Circus Ponies at the Support page here. This is the best way to get your feedback noted and considered. We try to pay attention on these forums as best we can, but everything sent to Support gets considered and responded to (please be patient during this roll out… We are very busy!).

As for the black notes and shapes, you need to be running NoteBook v455 or greater on your Mac (the current version is v447 and has several important bug fixes). Earlier versions of NoteBook have a slightly different file format that will cause those errors. If you’ve done that already, please contact us at Technical Support so we can investigate and correct the problem.

Similarly, older Notebooks must first be opened and saved with v445 or later in order to be properly viewed on NoteBook for iPad.

---

Regards,

__Eric

AJ Wright/AJ

08:44AM, Dec 18, 2010

Love Circus Ponies Notebook on the Mac.
Was thrilled to see an iPad version.
Was disappointed with the pricing ($29.99 for an iPad app?).
So, I passed on the opportunity : (

Perhaps Circus Ponies could have priced this app competitively, more in line with similar apps in the iTunes App Store.

nick101

01:21PM, Dec 18, 2010

@AJ Wright

I just want to comment on the pricing issue. I don’t like paying more than necessary for apps, but I think there are some issues here that need to be got out into the open:

1. There aren’t any similar apps in the app store – I’ve tried loads of the better (more up-market) note-taking apps and they don’t have the range of features and the quality that CPN has Many of them are excellent in their own right, and have great strengths (I’d highlight Evernote for it’s ease of grabbing new content and its multi-platform sync and Notebooks for it’s excellent UI).

2. Developing software and maintaining it is expensive. There’s a fascinating discussion here:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/209170/how-much-does-it-cost-to-develop-an-iphone-application

I don’t know the figures for CPN iPad, but the guys have been working on it for about 9 months – 9 months of the time of good quality engineers isn’t cheap (unless it’s a spare time project, see below, which this isn’t)

Basically, as I see it, cheap (less than $10) apps are financially viable if:

a. There’s a sponsor subsidising the cost (e.g. Facebook)
b. You’re going to sell huge numbers (cf some of the better games)
c. You can get advertising revenue
d. You can upsell (cheap app, costly content, like Wired, or functional upgrades)
e.. You’re a hobbyist/non-commercial

None of these apply to CPN

3. We’ve been conditioned by the $2.99 app to think that even $5 is pushing the boundary of acceptability. Wasn’t so long ago that we were paying $200-$300 for basic desktop software. Consider the functionality on offer in CPN iPad and the value it provides. Also consider just how s**t many of the cheapies really are.

And the iPad isn’t the iPhone. Mine replaces my netbook all the time, and my 17” MacBook Pro for all but 10% of the time. If I want OneNote on my netbook, it costs me the same as on a Windows desktop (if I had one of those), because I get the same value. CP costs less on the iPad, for a little less value (for now)

4. My biggest fear is that CP don’t earn enough to keep developing and enhancing their products. Given the niche nature of CPN iPad (the market is basically that proportion of the Mac-using population that use CPN Mac – i.e. not huge), they can’t expect huge sales volumes, so the option of low pricing isn’t viable.

Probably worth noting that OmniGroup seem to be doing pretty well with even higher pricing on their apps

5. I’m not privy to CPN’s thinking, but I don’t see what other strategies are available. Build a Windows version to expand the market and you run headlong into OneNote. Build a Lite version with ad support and in-app upsell? Possible, but the Lite version would struggle to separate itself from the mass of other notetakers out there. Implement the ability to work with OneNote files? Hard, but maybe possible (I don’t know myself what’s entailed, but I do know it’s come up before)

Finally – CPN iPad needs some development to reach its potential, and that means money.

Sorry this has been so long. Hope it was worth reading

AJB

02:52PM, Dec 18, 2010

@nick101

I think you are spot on!!

I use apps like CPN in my work and they save me a lot of time – easily justifying the cost. I bought Omnigraffle at 49.95 and it paid for itself in days as I was able to work more productively when travelling.

As CTO for a leading software business I know that good software isn’t cheap to produce. I believe that companies like CP offer great value/quality software and even greater value when you consider how responsive their support is.

Just my 2 cents…..

randy

03:54PM, Dec 18, 2010

Two questions; I have notebook for mac and use it alot. Do I need to buy a new license for my ipad? If not how do I download the app onto the ipad. Seems I need to buy it on app store is the only way.

Second. If I do have to buy the ipad app for $29 how do I sync my notebooks on my desktop version with my ipad notebooks?
Thanks
Randy

nick101

06:56PM, Dec 18, 2010

The only way to get CP for iPad is via the app store, and there is a separate cost.

You can exchange notebooks between Mac and iPad using iTunes Application file syncing, but that’s not the same as syncing notebooks.

So – I edit a notebook on the Mac. Via iTunes, I can then copy it to the iPad. I edit on the iPad, I then have to copy it back to the Mac. No automation.

But apparently sync via Dropbox is coming

thespinner

10:21PM, Dec 18, 2010

Having raised the issue of price earlier, I must now apologise for part of my post being wrong. Circus Ponies NoteBook has made it into the Top Grossing apps at Number 9, in the UK! Well done all at CP. How’s it doing in the States?

I’ve now bought the app and started to use it – it is worth £17.99 and while not disagreeing with @nick101 and @AJB my point was that if the price was more iOS like more units would be sold, resulting in perhaps more revenue and more NB for Mac sales. But as @ray said the pricing is CP’s decision and I won’t mention it again.

Regarding the performance issues, CP have asked for specific issues to be logged through support. This is a general issue across the whole app, but I have confidence in CP improving this with every release.

ray

03:04AM, Dec 19, 2010

I second Eric’s comment. Before you start cross pollinating Notebook documents, update to the latest Notebook program. Don’t necessarily trust the “Check for New Version…” option under the “Notebook” menu option in the Mac version of Notebook. Mine seems to rarely work. I was working with version 370 for a long time until I saw a comment about version 445. I kept checking for updates through the program and it told me I had the latest. Version 445 just told me it was the latest, but 447 is waiting to be downloaded.

By the way, the problems I had earlier with PadSync, I believe can be attributed to using an older version of Notebook – Mac. I haven’t had them since.

I also had issues of not seeing my updates cross the membrane with PadSync during testing, and I think that there is some time lag there. I’m not sure what the magic number is, but if someone can figure it out, please let us know. So far, I’m still using test Notebook documents.

I’ve also had some problems, using PadSync, where I get a message that all my Notebook licenses are in use, as if it was trying to open another copy of Notebook than the one already open. Another time it found version 351 I had squirreled away somewhere and opened that Notebook. Definitely some issues to be worked out in using it. But, as one who prefers moving files without using the “cloud”, I’ll keep working it.

ray

05:36AM, Dec 19, 2010

PadSync Test

Using Notebook – Mac v 447

Sync’ed from iPad to Mac and opened test Notebook in PadSync. Found that my tabs had gone black in color. Had to change to white before could read the labels.

On a .pdf annotation page with a sticky and drawn lines, found the sticky to be the same, but the lines were not. This was the same problem I had with the same lines as when I didn’t give the documents time to catch up earlier.

So closed document on Mac. Turned to fresh .pdf annotation page and drew lines. Closed notebook. Set timer for 15 minutes. After I closed the notebook, I got a notification from PadSync that it had been confused because the documents had been modified both on the Mac and the iPad and which one did I want to use as the current document. I chose the iPad. This is a good mechanism to have in place.

That seemed to work well, now to go the other way. I made changes on the Mac version of the document, and no changes on the iPad version, closed both documents and ran the 15 minute timer again.

Again I received the question asking me which document I wanted to choose since both had been modified – which was incorrect. When I opened both documents, a previous annotation I moved was in the new place, but a new annotation was missing.

Of course, my test notebook may be hopelessly confused due to testing it with incompatible versions of Notebook previously.

So there are some problems with PadSync that can cause lost annotations of .pdf files, at least. I plan to keep working with it to find out what is the key to make it work. I have sent a question regarding the above issues to the writers of PadSync and will report back. When I asked previously about some of the modifications, their answer was they were not sure, that PadSync was “just moving files around.” Again, this product has great potential as it syncs continuously and immediately – or with some unknown time lag – and all you need to do is have PadSync running on your Mac.

Eric

10:13AM, Dec 19, 2010

Ray wrote:

Before you start cross pollinating Notebook documents, update to the latest Notebook program. Don’t necessarily trust the “Check for New Version…” option under the “Notebook” menu option in the Mac version of Notebook. Mine seems to rarely work. I was working with version 370 for a long time until I saw a comment about version 445. I kept checking for updates through the program and it told me I had the latest. Version 445 just told me it was the latest, but 447 is waiting to be downloaded.

Thanks Ray, for noting that. I think I’ve posted this elsewhere but it bears repeating since not everyone is likely to have seen it:

When we release a new version, we make it available on the Downloads section of the website first. We then wait a few days to a couple of weeks or more to turn on notification for those using the Check for a New Version command in NoteBook. This is to give the new release a little bit of air time first before making it more widely available.  The public releases are not always sequential in number, by the way.

So, if you are having a problem, check the Downloads page to see if a newer version exists. You can find that here:

http://www.circusponies.com/downloads

The Downloads page will always have the most recent publicly released update to NoteBook.

Also, Jayson recently posted this link on the Announcements section of the forum that also bears repeating:

http://www.circusponies.com/recent-changes-notebook-ipad

This shows upcoming changes that might be helpful to know about, especially when you are troubleshooting an issue.

---

Regards,

__Eric

Sierk

12:22PM, Dec 19, 2010

Love the App…..
The price is fair….

Just miss the tabs.

Any plans on adding them?

Grtz from Amsterdam

-/ Sierk /-

thespinner

01:03PM, Dec 19, 2010

@ray, if you haven’t seen I’ve created a separate thread for PadSync. I thought it might be useful to log our findings/methods there rather than in this more general iPad thread:

http://forums.circusponies.com/categories/8/posts/13916

LuckyLindy

06:21PM, Dec 19, 2010

1. I second tabs. And overall speed (especially when doing things that require the page to redraw, like flipping pages and moving the shadow area in landscape view.)
2. Glad to see Dropbox and printing are coming
3. Please add (for shapes layer) modal ‘Group’ and ‘Ungroup’ to the available options mini-menu you see when clicking on two or more selected shape(s).

Love, love, love the app!

PeetX

11:28PM, Dec 19, 2010

Can someone confirm is it is possible to get mail attachments imported in NB with the “Open In” functionality in mail.
That’s my only outstanding question mark.

Eric

04:01AM, Dec 20, 2010

Sierk and LuckyLindy expressed interest in this:

Just miss the tabs. Any plans on adding them?

This is on NoteBook’s possible future features list. I”ve added your support for them.

If anyone else would like this or any other new feature in NoteBook, please submit your requests to technical support here. We usually are unable to track them from the forums. Thank you.

---

Regards,

__Eric

armchair warrior

05:53PM, Dec 20, 2010

Has anyone tried to handwrite equations, drawings, and text with a stylus? If the stylus works well with Notebook, I’ll definitely would be willing to buy myself an iPad.

Anthony

06:33PM, Dec 21, 2010

VERY BAD reviews on the App Store. Comments from the Support team?

ray

07:07AM, Dec 22, 2010

Regarding the VERY BAD reviews, I think some just like to complain.

For example the one who said he had followed the sync instructions to the letter and the sync procedure doesn’t work. Well, to the best of my knowledge, there is no sync procedure yet, so he could not have followed the steps.

I’ve seen these complaints before on iTunes. It seems if someone charges more that $0.25, someone will complain about it being more than the program is worth.

I posted a long response to a similar complaint in one of the other threads, http://forums.circusponies.com/categories/4/posts/13876, so I won’t repeat it here.

However, I will say that anyone who buys a new application and expects it to be trouble free is naive. These folks paid $30, and complained to themselves about it at the time, and now because Notebook is not perfect they feel taken advantage of. IMHO they have been taken advantage of by their own misplaced and overly optimistic expectations. Watch the forums, see how many problems are discussed, what features are missing, and then decide whether or not to buy. It’s not rocket science. And I have NEVER had my iPad Notebook crash. I wonder what’s in their documents?

ray

07:25AM, Dec 22, 2010

Armchair Warrior – I noticed no one had answered your questions. I just tried handwriting an equation.

Notebook seems to handle drawing and handwriting alright, but not fabulously. On my first attempt, i rested the side of my hand on the display and, rather than being able to write, got several lines where my hand rested.

Notebook seems to want to straighten out lines, so the handwriting was not always natural looking. To me, this indicates that the resolution of the drawing capability is not high. For example, I wrote a “3” and rather than having the top loop, Notebook connected the start of the loop with the center point so I had a straight line there. I could write a formula, but only in large font.

There also seems to be about a 1/2 to 3/4 inch lag, I know that’s not scientific, when drawing. In other words, when I started drawing a circle, I was about 1/2” into drawing the circle before the line started to appear. So I was drawing ahead of the ink on the page.

Notebook does have some great shape and line tools making it easy to create flow type diagrams, or do mind mapping.

Hope this gives you an idea that helps answer your question. There are some great drawing and handwriting apps out there, they work well on the iPad and they are not expensive. With any luck, you will soon be able to paste equations, drawings and handwritten text into Notebook documents from one of those, and hopefully soon after that Notebook’s drawing capabilities will be improved

armchair warrior

04:49PM, Dec 22, 2010

Ray, thanks for the answer. I really need to be able to handwrite. I’m currently using Notebook on a MacBook with a Wacom tablet to prepare lecture plans and write out quickly research ideas and other notes. I like the mix of hand drawings and typed text, images, sound.

I was looking forward to the iPad when it came out, so I could streamline this process and avoid using the tablet, but found no suitable app so far. My hopes were high for Notebook on iPad but it seems from your answer that it won’t do either, for now.

Importing from another app might not be bad though, provided it’s fast and simple. What’s a good iPad application for handwriting?

Another question for everybody: does NoteBook on iPad support an external monitor?

Max

06:08AM, Dec 23, 2010

Ray wrote, “Regarding the VERY BAD reviews, I think some just like to complain.”

I disagree. The complaints all seem valid. CP NoteBook is not currently “the best app for taking notes on iPad” as is claimed on iTunes.

The lag between typing and the words appearing is so long that I get several words ahead. In an empty notebook. This issue alone should have been identified and resolved during beta trials, not left like a lit paper bag on the porch for paying customers to find. As it stands I can’t actually use NoteBook for writing notes.

The crashes (eg when copy/pasting pages) are frequent.

ray

09:04AM, Dec 23, 2010

Max – I’ve been around iTunes reviews and computer software (and other) forums long enough to know that some seem to look for reasons to complain.

That being said, I am not saying that their performance complaints are not valid. But don’t buy a new release software, from any manufacturer, and complain because it’s not perfect in the first week. Also, it’s initial quality won’t be higher because it’s price is higher, that seems to me to be a specious argument. Actually, the opposite seems true. The more complicated an app, the more likelihood that there will be more bugs to work out as there are more lines of code, more features, more places for the vermin to hide.

I also know that CP was under a lot of pressure to hurry Notebook to market to satisfy their long time fans.

In my previous response, referenced above, I agreed with the poster who said he felt as if he had paid to be a beta tester for this program. And I’ve also said that the forums are the place to post these complaints. I even understand why some would want to post negative reviews on iTunes, although I was amused by at least one complainer who ranted against broken features that didn’t even exist.

I haven’t seen either of your problems of typing lag or crashing, but I’m only finding time to do limited testing and minor work thus far until I get input and output solved.

Where you are really right is the over-marketing that is common among many (I almost said “all”) software manufacturers. I have a problem with it as well. I bought another app for my iPad based on claims of features and only later found out that many of the features I wanted and expected were really planned for later upgrades. I had a long discussion with that company’s representative about false advertising and they eventually changed the wording of their product description. I guess they can’t advertise, “it will be the best app for taking notes on iPad when we get the bugs worked out.”

For the features it has, I think CP Notebook has the potential to be the best app for taking notes on the iPad. Many of us are trying to help make it so.

So keep those valid complaints coming and please, as Eric requests, also send them to the Support team via that page so they can add them to the list that they are working on. As a user of Notebook for Mac for years, I know they will put out frequent upgrades as they get things fixed and do their best to keep us all happy. You’ve paid the money, you might as well help get a program that works.

By the way, I loved your simile.

ray

09:54AM, Dec 23, 2010

Armchair – if you mean handwriting recognition, I’ve gone with WritePad for handwriting recognition (http://www.phatware.com/index.php?q=product/details/writepad). It also seems to be a pretty fair note taking app for typing. But it doesn’t seem to have any sketching or drawing features. $10

For sound recording and taking notes, currently I use AudioNote (http://luminantsoftware.com/iphone/audionote.html). It allows you to make sketches, take handwritten or typed notes while recording audio. One of the really great features of this program is that as you play the audio, the line you drew or the letter you typed turns blue (from the default and only color black – needs work) in time with the audio. So you know where in your notes you were at the same point in the audio. SoundNote does the same or similar job and is half a star higher in reviews. Both are $5.

There is an external monitor and projector adapter available from Apple, $29 (http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC552ZM/A).

By the way, with iOS 4.2, iPad can now multitask. Click the home button twice and you can quickly access another application. Quite often (depends upon the app) it comes back where you left off, so you could have one note app and one sketch app open during a work session and fairly quickly jump between the two.

You can also try Notebook and if it isn’t quite right yet, there are lots of inexpensive apps out there that might fill the gap of those features you need until they get them up to snuff in Notebook. I have yet to see a note taking app that gives you the indexing capabilities of Notebook as well as many of the other features.

Qvik Sketch Pro $0.99
Noterize – Typing, sketching, annotating .pdf files $3

Christos P. Kessaris MD

05:33PM, Dec 24, 2010

Dear Friends of CPN
Happy Xmas
I have to admit that although CP iMac version rocks, the iPad version, though costly (I do not mind though) has a long way to go

The major role of iPad CP now is to carry the work you do on the iMac and that is huge!

I expect the next upadte to solve a lot of issues

Thank you

meitnik

09:27AM, Dec 25, 2010

Ok, ok…got some extra funds for NB ipad….
Really its not ready for prime time, sorta. CP failed to set expectations on the ipad version. And yes, 30.00 is not the right price for this “3.0”, rather 10 and much later over time set it towards 30. However, due to Apple’s take, I don’t blame the pricing. CP worked hard.
I too got it to crash and watched nb-ipad struggle with content. CP bravely pushed the limits of ipad—hard. I also wonder if 4.2.1 was able to really handle well what CP was trying to do with nb-ipad. My hope is Apple learned more from CP about what os api is needed for better apps—towards a 4.3. Yes, CP took a chance on this release but in time nb-ipad will became great. I suspect nb-ipad was a painful learning experience for all parties involved. Will I use nb-pad daily, yes. Will I shift my nb creation to nb-ipad, no; but I bet over the next several months I will. :-)

PS Please, please give me back highlighters!! and join/split as well, thanks

---

Eric Martin

07:24PM, Jan 04, 2011

It is a great app, the price is fairly high, but i think, in time the App will get better.
It’s slow, i really would see the choice of new pages (like in the Mac version), new writing page, new notepage etc.
Sometimes it’s hard to remove pages as well, i finaly figured out how, but i know and understand it’s a work in progress.
So good luck, and i’ll hope that we will see good updates.
Knowing that you don’t walk over one night’s ice (a dutch saying), i expect nothing but good.
Greetings.

meitnik

06:25AM, Jan 05, 2011

Thank you for 3.01.

---

BlueKnight

09:11AM, Jan 05, 2011

Handwriting Recognition on the iPad definitely use Write Pad. Unfortunately while taking notes at meeting and such Write Pad just is too slow.

I actually downloaded Note Taker HD which is a write on the page and it just saves your writing. Kind of like the Notepadd app, the big difference is that there is a zoom window and an auto advance on it so it works extremely well.

The nice thing is that it exports as PDF so I can E-Mail them to myself and then import them in to the NotePad.

I do the imports on the Mac, but it should also work from E-mail on the iPAD itself but I have not tried.

BlueKnight

09:17AM, Jan 05, 2011

Please remember one thing this App helps replace a few apps for the price. So while it is a bit high on price you can look at what it replaces and then compare.

1. Voice Recording App
2. Auditorium Notebook (Has the Recording of Notes, and syncing to the pages same as Notepad).
3. Various Graphical Drawing Programs to do diagrams.
4. PDF Comment Software
5. Note Recording Software
6. Sketching Software
7. Diary software

Just counting these things and considering that if they are only $3 each, it would be $21.

This is not even counting the ability to organize the information all in one notebook and have the ability to search through any of it.

This app will get better over time!

meitnik

06:30PM, Jan 05, 2011

I did a pinch to zoom in, very very slow almost to point iNB seem like it hung.

Struggling but hopeful user….

---

meitnik

09:02PM, Jan 05, 2011

My public struggling iNB might appear to be too harsh or simply BS. I am sorry for venting here. I am trying to make sense and share my experiences with the product. I want to make clear I believe in CP and their talents. I know in time iNB will get better and do what I want. Sorry for any confusion.

---

JohnJ80

06:42PM, Jan 07, 2011

meitnik – I’m with you. I have been unable to make NB work in any useful way on the iPad – crashes, freezes, having to reinstall, etc… It’s quite frustrating and nothing I can trust my data to at this point.

One thing I did find out working with tech support is that Notebook needs a lot of internal memory. If you force quit apps in the dock that are running so that only Notebook remains, it should run better. Try that and see what it does and if it helps.

That said, while I did get snappier performance, i did find that it allowed me to get to my next crash faster. Each crash typically means that I need to reinstall the software… again. That usually means the notebooks are wiped out.

I’m really looking to see what sort of a usable configuration it is going to take to make this run. Right now, I can’t use this software so I’m hoping that CP is going to fix some of this stuff ASAP. If not, they are going to get creamed in the app store on ratings and then we won’t have a usable iPad app if no one buys it based on ratings.

J.

Jayson

08:49PM, Jan 07, 2011

One thing I did find out working with tech support is that Notebook needs a lot of internal memory. If you force quit apps in the dock that are running so that only Notebook remains, it should run better. Try that and see what it does and if it helps.

Hello,

I don’t know that NoteBook needs tons of internal memory. In general apps will perform better if there’s more free memory available. A couple days ago you sent us 35 low-memory crash reports but it turned out that just 1 was from NoteBook and the rest were from other apps being killed off by iOS because they ran out of memory. I commented that the iPad does not appear to have enough internal memory for the number of apps you’re trying to run.

Each crash typically means that I need to reinstall the software… again. That usually means the notebooks are wiped out.

As you know, there is one lingering crasher that you’re hitting that we’ve finally managed to fix. The update should be available soon. If you do reinstall the software you will wipe out your existing Notebooks, but a reinstall should never be required to recover (we can help you with that if you get stuck and it seems like the only option).

Right now, I can’t use this software so I’m hoping that CP is going to fix some of this stuff ASAP.

As you know from our numerous conversations over the past few days, that is already the case.

Best,

__jayson

Chris f

01:19AM, Jan 09, 2011

Hi,

I was using iNB this evening and suddenly it quit and I can’t get it back at all. Starting the app just gives me a black screen which then quits after a minute or so.

To cause this, I was merrily editing some entries in a completely new notebook….nothing at all out of the ordinary! Please help me understand why I no longer have notebook working at all – even after a cold re-start of my iPad.

I’d post this on the support forum but it doesn’t work…

Chris

Eric

10:17AM, Jan 10, 2011

Hi Chris,

I saw your inquiry via our Support page and have just replied to you. Thank you for reporting this.

---

Regards,

__Eric

JohnJ80

10:33PM, Jan 10, 2011

Hi Jayson,

You’re right that you don’t lose a notebook on the ipad, but unless I’m mistaken what you have to do is connect the iPad to iTunes and get it out by file sharing then delete the Notebook app and reinstall it. Given that my application is using it for considerable mobile notetaking in customer meetings, it’s not very useful or practical (and sort of defeats the point) to have to lug the laptop along in order to do all that. I’d have been better off using the laptop instead. Is there another way to recover the software without having to connect up to iTunes i.e. a mobile solution?

J.

kate

10:44PM, Feb 07, 2011

Need a mobil sharing solution for the ipad or it’s worthless! To release a production product for the ipad and NOT allow it to transfer files via iDisk or Dropbox?... is very short sighted. I hope the update is out soon.

-k

nick101

11:58AM, Feb 12, 2011

@kate

I think that’s a little unfair. I’d very much like Dropbox or equivalent, but it’s not stopping me from using the iPad version.

mdiamant

04:44PM, Feb 12, 2011

I love the idea of notebook. it’s a great idea of full note and info consolidation. But the awfulness of the ipad app has made me questions my use of all CP notebook apps including ones on the mac. Sorry guys you are about to lose me.

Jayson

08:28PM, Feb 12, 2011

But the awfulness of the ipad app has made me questions my use of all CP notebook apps

What exactly do you find “awful” about it?

Best,

__jayson

Tom S.

09:14PM, Feb 13, 2011

Hi, Jayson.

Since you have not yet gotten a reply to this, I will attempt to provide constructive criticism to you.

First, perhaps because I’ve been lucky, I’ve experienced none of the stability problems which have been reported in reviews on iTunes. This appears to be the major criticism but I believe the developers are gradually killing the bugs. I’ve experienced one or two but none has caused a crash (yet). I would encourage you to keep up the good work.

That aside, I understand at least some of the frustration from the users. CP Notebook on the iPad suffers from a couple problems.

1) The price point is extremely high. I know this probably makes no sense to a company which usually sells software for a higher price on the Mac but the iPad apps tend to be considerably cheaper.

The program has many features and its admirable. But my favorite program for taking handwritten notes on the iPad cost me $1.99 and, for the purpose, its better than this one. Out of respect for the developers, I won’t name it here but I would be glad to tell you offline and tell you why I like it. Admittedly the feature set is behind Notebook but its got a very important feature or two that CP NB doesn’t have. And its literally less than 1/10 the price.

Even the most expensive iPad note taking apps are about $4.99. If you are going to charge $30, your program has to be rock solid out of the box and it has to be super.

2) CB notebook suffers from the same problem all iPad apps suffer from but in your case its worse because the program is so complex. The UI is not intuitive and its hard to learn to use the program.

Instead of menus, we are stuck with sometimes hard to interpret icons across the screen (as part of a pencil, no less). Its often hard, if not impossible, to guess what is going to be a part of the menu of any icon I click.

For instance, I wanted to zoom in on the page the other day. I knew you could do it, of course, because I watched the videos. So I took a look and tried to guess where the command was. I spent a good five minutes looking before I eventually reverted to looking at the manual, something most of us are not used to doing and something which is most often not necessary with non-iPad programs. The whole thing caused me some frustration as part of what should have been a pleasurable experience with the program.

Consider the context menus. I click and hold on items or on the background of the page at different spots. To the beginner it seems that you get a different menu – or no menu at all – each time.

I have gradually learned how to access and understand these but only because I’m used to the Mac UI and I know where to find the different features like due dates and stickers. Take the CP NB program and put it in the hands of a user with little or no experience with CP Notebook on the Mac and I’m sure you appreciate that it would be virtually impossible to figure anything out without taking considerable time to learn the program. Even then, you are unlikely to remember how to execute actions that you don’t do every day.

The developers are to be complimented on this program. I personally like it and I will certainly use it more and more as it gets better and I get more used to it. I hope this feedback helps.

Tom S.

thespinner

09:40PM, Feb 13, 2011

Tom S, I have to agree with the two points you make. While Notebook on the Mac can transform the way you work, unfortunately CP have missed the whole point of iOS: reasonably priced apps that do the job you want on a mobile platform. I’m sorry to say that at the current price, a 2 star rated app just isn’t going to sell many copies.

I’m using my iPad and iPhone more and more – more than I’m using my Mac. For that reason, and I’m sure this is the future, I need apps that sync as seamlessly as possible to the cloud. I want to turn on any device I have and see up to date consistent information that has been entered on any device I have. These are the apps that are going to sell by the bucket load, even if not functionally rich.

You have my money guys, from NB on Mac and iPad. I hope it helps you sort out the iOS situation. But for now, and I know it doesn’t have the functionality of NB, I’m using Evernote -simply because it gives me that seamless integration that mobile platforms have made possible.

Jayson

11:01PM, Feb 13, 2011

Since you have not yet gotten a reply to this, I will attempt to provide constructive criticism to you.

I appreciate it.

1) The price point is extremely high. I know this probably makes no sense to a company which usually sells software for a higher price on the Mac but the iPad apps tend to be considerably cheaper.

We think the price is correct, for the features NoteBook for iPad provides and for the actual cost of staying in business.

2) CB notebook suffers from the same problem all iPad apps suffer from but in your case its worse because the program is so complex. The UI is not intuitive and its hard to learn to use the program….

For instance, I wanted to zoom in on the page the other day. I knew you could do it, of course, because I watched the videos. So I took a look and tried to guess where the command was.

The convention for zoom on iOS is the pinch gesture, which is what NoteBook supports, whereas a menu command is how it works on the Mac. That makes me wonder if the issue is really partly expectations of the Mac version creeping over onto the iPad?

Instead of menus, we are stuck with sometimes hard to interpret icons across the screen (as part of a pencil, no less). Its often hard, if not impossible, to guess what is going to be a part of the menu of any icon I click.

But of the five buttons on the right side of the menu bar, three of them (voice annotation, drawing, and inspector) are pretty clear about what to expect when you tap them. Same for the + button: you’re going to add something to the page or Notebook. That leaves the picture icon (Import), which in some sense is a variation of adding to the page/Notebook. I think that button is the least clear, but I’m not seeing how the other ones are not.

Likewise on the left side, the four buttons are My Notebooks and Undo (just like Pages and the other apps from Apple), then Ruler and Shapes. I also think that’s clear. Lastly, what you get when you tap the title bar button are ways to navigate the contents of the Notebook.

Consider the context menus. I click and hold on items or on the background of the page at different spots. To the beginner it seems that you get a different menu – or no menu at all – each time.

I do agree that in some cases it’s not clear what’s going to happen when you tap and hold, and we need to how we can improve that.

Take the CP NB program and put it in the hands of a user with little or no experience with CP Notebook on the Mac and I’m sure you appreciate that it would be virtually impossible to figure anything out without taking considerable time to learn the program.

I actually don’t agree. I think NoteBook for iPad is very similar to NoteBook for Mac: an app that looks very simple at first, but as you use it you discover more and more of what it can do.

I hope this feedback helps.

I do appreciate it!

Best,

__jayson

Jayson

11:16PM, Feb 13, 2011

unfortunately CP have missed the whole point of iOS: reasonably priced apps that do the job you want on a mobile platform.

No, we have hit that mark.

I’m sorry to say that at the current price, a 2 star rated app just isn’t going to sell many copies.

You would be surprised.

And the current 2-star (16 review) rating is a complete joke. What we haven’t done to date is a good job of encouraging the people who are happy with the app to leave feedback.

Best,

__jayson

Tom S.

06:54PM, Feb 16, 2011

The convention for zoom on iOS is the pinch gesture, which is what NoteBook supports, whereas a menu command is how it works on the Mac. That makes me wonder if the issue is really partly expectations of the Mac version creeping over onto the iPad?

I expect that is a problem with virtually all iPad programs. Without doubt some of us need to adjust our thinking and without doubt it is slow in coming. The problem is made worse when dealing with complex programs. I’m getting there, though.

In this case I should have known better as I also own an iPhone where this is the convention. Why it didn’t occur to me I can’t explain.

But of the five buttons on the right side of the menu bar, three of them (voice annotation, drawing, and inspector) are pretty clear about what to expect when you tap them.

In fact, I didn’t know the “i” stood for “inspector”. I have seen this in the past stand for “info” and I expected things like “Help” and “About Notebook”, etc… there. Obviously all I had to do was click on it once to see that I was wrong.

But consider this. What I found there seemed to fit under a “Format” menu on a Mac program. “Margins”, “Linespacing”, “Paper color”, etc… Amongst the items I find is “Fonts”. But I can’t find many of the things I would consider to be a standard part of the font dialog (again, based upon MAc experience). For instance, I can’t find “Underline”, “Bold”, “Superscript” or “Subscript”. So I hunt and peck until I find them on the “Ruler”. Which actually does make some sense as it provides ready access on what amounts to a toolbar. But as a beginner, I don’t know that and it’s is very possible that I’ve given up before I ever find it. It can be frustrating.

Perhaps it would be better to put these in both places.

Same for the + button: you’re going to add something to the page or Notebook. That leaves the picture icon (Import), which in some sense is a variation of adding to the page/Notebook. I think that button is the least clear, but I’m not seeing how the other ones are not.

It is clear. Kind of. But as I’m sure you already know, that icon usually means “insert picture or media”. And that’s the first thing I see when I click it. And people who aren’t very observant (like me) don’t look for more. It is only 10 minutes later when you come back to the menu that you realize there’s more there than that. Again, frustrating until you get used to it which takes a lot of time.

I might suggest making “Media” the second or third dialog in this menu rather than the first.

Likewise on the left side, the four buttons are My Notebooks and Undo (just like Pages and the other apps from Apple), then Ruler and Shapes. I also think that’s clear. Lastly, what you get when you tap the title bar button are ways to navigate the contents of the Notebook.

I would agree with this but would point out that it took me a few minutes to see that the ruler icon was there. I knew there was a ruler but the video goes kind of fast. It looks very nice but its kind of hidden between the bands there. It won’t look as nice but I might suggest making it a bit bigger. Or you could set it off by making it a different color.

I actually don’t agree. I think NoteBook for iPad is very similar to NoteBook for Mac: an app that looks very simple at first, but as you use it you discover more and more of what it can do.

An excellent point and I agree.

Hang in there.

Tom S.

MacBookMan

05:45PM, Feb 20, 2011

I just wanted to jump in and say that v3.0.4 of CP Notebook has been incredibly stable for me. I encourage anyone who had problems with the app before to try it out again.

It’ll become a killer app for me when it gets Dropbox/MobileMe (or anything!) sync support (I’m too lazy to go back and forth through iTunes), but CP has done some really nice work!

Jayson

08:00PM, Feb 21, 2011

Hi Tom,

Thank you for your comments. I wanted to add that in addition to expectations from the Mac version possibly creeping over, the iPad is a new platform that requires a new set of usage conventions that will take time to sink in. When I saw what Apple had done with Pages, Numbers, and Keynote I immediately said, “OK, Apple had laid the groundwork for expectations of how an app on iPad will work, and we can draft off of those expectations.” So while the “i” button can be interpreted to mean “info,” or “about,” Apple’s convention is that it means “Inspector” (i.e. the place you go to change the settings of whatever’s selected). Obviously if the iWork app iPad conventions have not taken hold in the way people think about using iPad apps, our menu choices may not feel intuitive.

But as I’m sure you already know, that icon [plus] usually means “insert picture or media”

I’m not sure it means that on iPad.

I would agree with this but would point out that it took me a few minutes to see that the ruler icon was there. I knew there was a ruler but the video goes kind of fast.

One unfortunate constraint with the iPad is its limited screen real estate, which means apps have to break the UI rules on icons for buttons (you’ll notice on the Mac in places like toolbars that button icons are accompanied by a text description – that’s because Apple discovered long ago that icon-only is not usually enough information to clearly describe a button’s function). And that’s why, again just like the iWork apps, we tried to make the documentation friendly and easily-readable in just a few minutes. Even if you only make it as far as page two you’ll see an explanation of the menu buttons, which will go a long way toward understanding how to use the app.

Best,

__jayson

James Norton

11:58PM, Feb 21, 2011

Jayson,

I’m disturbed that you find the 2 star rating a “complete joke”. Many of the reviews there voice completely valid complaints, not just “it’s too expensive”.

I am completely happy with the Mac version of Notebook, and I really wanted to like the iPad version. $30 would be more than reasonable if the app worked correctly. It does not.

You seem to be convinced that most people are disappointed with the app due to expectations based on the Mac version. From what I have seen, however, most people, including myself, are disappointed based on the performance of the app.

First off is the issue of stability – this app crashes – frequently. As a test, I just (5 minutes ago) deleted my copy and re-sinstalled the latest version (3.0.4). Then I opened up the app and was greeted with the “NoteBook User Guide”. I swiped through pages (very slow, but that is a different issue), 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11, CRASH. Note that this is just browsing YOUR notebook after a fresh install. No edits, just turning pages. I tried this exact procedure two more times, and both times it crashed after trying to turn from page 11 to 12.

In addition to the stability issues, core features like page turns and drawing are unreasonably slow. Swipes to initiate page turns are often undetected, forcing me to re-swipe.

Inserting an image from my photo library and then moving it around to reposition it exhibits huge lag. Drawing lines is similarly laggy and the results of the drawing are so choppy as to be almost unusable.

The eraser has no visual indicator (on page) of it’s area, making it difficult to use. And it works erratically, often skipping over parts of lines so that I have to go back over them.

I have completely given up on the line drawing/erasing facility for now.

The shapes stuff seems to work well – I haven’t tested it that much due to crashes. SImilarly I have no problems with the normal text input.

The interface IS confusing, but that’s OK because I can learn it eventually. The stability and performance problems are NOT OK.

All in all, I can only conclude that your beta testing group was either extremely limited in size, or more likely, composed of people that REALLY wanted to like the app and so didn’t provide decent feedback. There is no way a decent beta testing group could have missed some of these problems.

I wish you had concentrated more on getting the basics right and adding features later than the reverse.

Jayson

08:24PM, Feb 22, 2011

Hi James,

I’m disturbed that you find the 2 star rating a “complete joke”. Many of the reviews there voice completely valid complaints, not just “it’s too expensive”.

16 ratings divided by the number of copies we’ve sold is basically zero. While I don’t at all discount the experiences of the 8 people who gave it a 1 rating, to somehow claim that their feedback, plus that of 8 other people, somehow accurately reflects the experiences of most NoteBook for iPad users is a complete joke.

You seem to be convinced that most people are disappointed with the app due to expectations based on the Mac version.

False.

First off is the issue of stability – this app crashes – frequently. As a test, I just (5 minutes ago) deleted my copy and re-sinstalled the latest version (3.0.4). Then I opened up the app and was greeted with the “NoteBook User Guide”. I swiped through pages (very slow, but that is a different issue), 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11, CRASH. Note that this is just browsing YOUR notebook after a fresh install. No edits, just turning pages. I tried this exact procedure two more times, and both times it crashed after trying to turn from page 11 to 12.

I don’t believe there is a bug in NoteBook that causes it to crash like this. I’ve mentioned previously that when the iOS gets low on memory it kills off apps, and to the user this looks like a crash. This is pretty rotten because the iOS is giving the illusion of multi-tasking support but in reality it’s more Mac circa 1984 than OS X. We’re working on making NoteBook better able to survive in low-memory situations, but if you have a bunch of other apps running and turn to a page that has images the IOS may kill NoteBook.

In addition to the stability issues, core features like page turns and drawing are unreasonably slow. Swipes to initiate page turns are often undetected, forcing me to re-swipe.

Page turns are drawing as fast as they can (Apple does not give developers access to iBooks-style page turning animations so we had to cobble together our own). If page turns are unbearably slow, the best thing is to turn off page animations in preferences. Re: swipes going undetected, I’m not sure what that is about (the iOS is performing the gesture recognition, not NoteBook).

Inserting an image from my photo library and then moving it around to reposition it exhibits huge lag. Drawing lines is similarly laggy and the results of the drawing are so choppy as to be almost unusable.

Would love to get an example Notebook that demonstrates the problems.

The eraser has no visual indicator (on page) of it’s area, making it difficult to use. And it works erratically, often skipping over parts of lines so that I have to go back over them.

Agreed. Needs to be reimplemented.

All in all, I can only conclude that your beta testing group was either extremely limited in size, or more likely, composed of people that REALLY wanted to like the app and so didn’t provide decent feedback. There is no way a decent beta testing group could have missed some of these problems.

I’d say both, and I don’t disagree (although, again, some of the problems you’re talking about right now are limitations of the iPad). We would have loved more beta testers but Apple limits the number of devices that can run an iOS app outside of the App Store.

I wish you had concentrated more on getting the basics right and adding features later than the reverse.

In fact that’s what we did, which is why you don’t see things like Dropbox support, syncing, printing, PDF export, etc.

__jayson

Eric Martin

09:54PM, Feb 22, 2011

I am a great fan of NoteBook. I think there is no way that you can compare both apps (Mac and iPad) because they are both very different operating systems. However, I think, while many improvements can be and (i’m sure) will be made, the iPad app is a great tool. But as the saying goes, what is good comes slowly. Still, i wish you the best of luck. Keep improving the app. It will certainly get its place as a wonderful note taking app.

James Norton

11:16PM, Feb 22, 2011

Jayson,

16 ratings (20 now) is for the current version, with an average of 1 1/2 stars. There are 153 ratings for all versions with an average of 2 1/2 stars. And 91 written reviews, many unflattering. Are you receiving tons of emails telling you how great it is?

Regarding the crashing, I agree that the problem is memory related. Looking at the crash logs on my iPad I see that the most recent crash logs for NoteBook are from 2/18/2011 (of which there are five). So the current version is not crashing per se, but to the end user there is no difference. If NoteBook is such a memory hog that it keeps getting killed off by IOS, how does that help?

To test things out again, I manually killed off every app in the task bar and then launched NoteBook after powering down the iPad and restarting. This time I reached page 13 of the manual and it died (was killed off by IOS) when I attempted to turn to page 14. Repeated attempts had the same results. Obviously, even if this is a memory issue, it is not acceptable.

Regarding page turns, I was not complaining about the duration of the page turn animation, but rather about the delay between making the swipe gesture and the page turn initiating. So turning off animations probably won’t help, but I’ll give it a shot. In any case, the page turn animation has been implemented successfully by many other apps besides iBooks, but I can live without it.

Also, I noticed that my swipe gestures were ignored if I swiped at what I consider to be a normal pace, but never ignored if I slowed down. I’m guessing you’re using UISwipeGestureRecognizer here, so I agree there may not be much you can do, at least not easily.

Regarding repositioning images and lag, I can send you a sample notebook if you let me know where to send it. At least I think I can. I created a simple test notebook with an image and when I opened it a second time the image and the associated text were gone.

Regarding beta testing, the limit is 100 device ids. I’d be amazed if you had anywhere near that many beta testers. The problems are just too obvious that no one reported them. Unless there is something wrong with my iPad, which I find unlikely. It is a standard 32GB WiFi model and none of my other apps exhibit weird behavior.

Don’t get me wrong, I really want to like NoteBook for iPad. I hope these issues get resolved. I’m only expressing my concern here because I interpreted your comments above as meaning the you were discounting the negative reviews on iTunes, which I think would be a mistake.

-James

Jayson

11:38PM, Feb 23, 2011

16 ratings (20 now) is for the current version, with an average of 1 1/2 stars. There are 153 ratings for all versions with an average of 2 1/2 stars.

Divided by the installed base that’s still about zero.

And 91 written reviews, many unflattering.

Which don’t reflect the improvements made in subsequent updates.

Are you receiving tons of emails telling you how great it is?

We’ve posted some on our website, and here’s one I received today:

I know this is a relatively recent app, and that there are kinks to work out. Other than those (and some features you’re working on), it’s practically perfect.

But as you might imagine, we tend to hear most from people when they have problems rather than when things are going well. The ratings at the App Store follow the same pattern.

Really, though, this line of discussion is irrelevant and unproductive because the bottom line is there are customers out there experiencing problems with NoteBook for iPad, which pains me a great deal. Even if there were just one person having serious problems I’d be working as hard as I am right now to resolve them.

If NoteBook is such a memory hog that it keeps getting killed off by IOS, how does that help?

That’s quite amusing. I ran your page-through-the-user-guide test while tracking memory usage and got NoteBook to crash (it was a low-memory crash, as I had suspected). The memory tracker reported just under 4M of memory in use at the time, which is nothing (not only is it nothing, it’s not all NoteBook data – for example, whenever a font is accessed there’s a lot of font data that gets unpacked in the app’s address space).

It appears that the issue is the page turn animations cause memory usage to temporarily spike (and not a large spike) which, depending on what else is running, can lead to memory warnings and eventual crashes. I’ve made a change so that when NoteBook receives a memory warning it disables the page turn animation, on the theory that it’s better to keep running without it rather than risk getting killed off because of it. I’m going to see where else I can work this kind of logic into the app, which will hopefully help when the device goes low on memory.

Regarding page turns, I was not complaining about the duration of the page turn animation, but rather about the delay between making the swipe gesture and the page turn initiating. So turning off animations probably won’t help, but I’ll give it a shot.

Well behind the scenes they are really the same thing. The big portion of that lag is rendering page images for use by the animation, and turning off the animation does actually speed things up quite a bit. I mentioned that it’s all going as fast as it can, but after revisiting the code last night I discovered there were a couple more things I could do to speed it up (and reduce its memory usage).

In any case, the page turn animation has been implemented successfully by many other apps besides iBooks….

I’d hazard to guess that NoteBook’s situation is a little more complex than those other apps.

Regarding repositioning images and lag, I can send you a sample notebook if you let me know where to send it. At least I think I can. I created a simple test notebook with an image and when I opened it a second time the image and the associated text were gone.

Please contact us at support. We really would love to get anything you have that shows problems that need to be fixed.

Regarding beta testing, the limit is 100 device ids. I’d be amazed if you had anywhere near that many beta testers. The problems are just too obvious that no one reported them.

You’re talking about low-memory-related problems? Those show up depending on how you use your device (meaning problems you run into are not necessarily happening for everyone). Not only that, but NoteBook was preparing to ship right about when iOS 4.2 started shipping, which meant most beta testers had not been multi-tasking during most of their testing.

And no, we did not have 100 beta testers. That’s because the limit is 100 device IDs per year, meaning that even after beta testing is over we cannot delete the device IDs of beta testers to free up their slots for a year (it’s not even possible to correct typos or replace the IDs of devices that died – you have to use a new slot). If we took on 100 beta testers and six months from now decided we wanted to ship NoteBook for iPhone we’d have no beta testing slots left. Managing that limited resource was actually one of the most stressful parts of the beta testing period!

I hope these issues get resolved. I’m only expressing my concern here because I interpreted your comments above as meaning the you were discounting the negative reviews on iTunes, which I think would be a mistake.

Agreed. And given that NoteBook for iPad behaves differently depending on how you use your device, we really would like to hear from everyone experiencing problems so that we make sure they get fixed.

Best,

__jayson

pedro

02:16AM, Mar 23, 2011

Hi to all,
i couldn’t read all of the comment’s so excuse me in advance if my question has been answered before.(also for my bad english).

i’m an engineering student, and i use my iPad to take notes in class. i currently use penultimate since its the best app to write on. if you compare it to something like the goodreader app you’ll see what im talking about.

what i want from notebook, is a writing experience more like the penultimate app than the goodreader one, with all the other unique features off course.

is that it? can i only write in pdf’s? i’ve search for that but its been hard to find.

thank you all at CP, and keep up the amazing work!

ahoutzer

01:36PM, Mar 25, 2011

Just a note about NoteBook on iPad2:

This is much better! The iPad 2, as most of you probably have been reading, is faster than the original iPad and also has twice as much RAM. NoteBook works on it as an app should. It was sluggish on the original iPad.

I am keeping my daily work log on the iPad all of the time now. The poor sync/transfer solution provided by Apple makes it impractical and even dangerous (potential for data loss) to transfer the notebook regularly between Mac and iPad, so I just remember that particular notebook and one other general note-taking notebook are kept on the iPad. Others are kept solely on my MacBook Pro. This is not an ideal solution, but it is working for me. Apple provided this very poor method of transferring files. Circusponies has not (at least yet) made up its own synchronization system to work around Apple’s failure in this regard. I hope one of these two companies steps up soon.

Anyway, I just wanted you all to know that—except for the continuing limitation of poor sharing/synchronization of files—NoteBook runs quite well on iPad2.

Eric

06:31PM, Mar 25, 2011

HI ahoutzer,

Great to hear about iPad2 performance, appreciate the feedback!

sync/transfer solution provided by Apple makes it impractical and even dangerous (potential for data loss) to transfer the notebook regularly between Mac and iPad

We agree that the File Transfer process can be cumbersome, but I’m curious as to why you think there is a potential for data loss?

As you may know, Dropbox support for NoteBook is a high priority for new features in NoteBook for iPad.

Thanks for your thoughts.

---

Regards,

__Eric

ahoutzer

09:08PM, Mar 28, 2011

For one thing, Eric, there is no documented procedure for how to transfer files in both directions. That leaves us just wondering and experimenting. These experiments often don’t work, so that you can copy a notebook file (really a package) from Mac to iPad and still see the older version of that file on the iPad, or get a mix of pages copied. I think that the following procedure works for copying a new version of a notebook from Mac to iPad:

1) On the iPad, get out of the NoteBook app. I think that means first pressing the home button and then also double-pressing it so the multi-task bar shows, then press and hold on the NoteBook icon until it wiggles and shows the minus sign, then pressing the minus sign to really quit the app, then pressing the home button again to end the process. If you don’t succeed in thoroughly quitting the NoteBook app on the iPad then it doesn’t seem to notice when you replace its files.

2) Connect the iPad to the Mac and go into iTunes on the Apps panel of the iPad line.

3) In iTunes on the Mac, delete the notebook file from the iPad.

4) In iTunes on the Mac, drag the newer version of your notebook file (package) onto the file listing for the NoteBook app on the iPad.

5) Swing a rubber chicken over your head and hop on one foot until you feel lucky.

This procedure takes too long to do. If I get a phone call while I am working on a notebook, and am required to pick up my stuff and go to another location, I cannot be doing all of this to synchronize all of my files.

The second major danger for data loss is the simple fact that the user must always keep track of which device has the most recent version, and must only make changes to that version. There is no indicator—the user just has to remember. Over-the-air sync such as that used by iBank or Appigo’s ToDo makes this unnecessary. APPLE SHOULD BE PROVIDING THIS FOR ALL APPS. Because they are not, you app developers are stuck with the either doing it yourselves or dealing with user frustration and, yes, data loss due to the unwieldy procedure.

EarlJohn

01:51AM, Apr 01, 2011

I am new to the Ipad version, and find it dificult to use. The documentation that is available seems to tell me what the program is capable of doing, but not how to use it. I think A start fro scratch step by step creation would be very helpful. The program is new I know, but I would find that aproach would help me very much

Eric

08:20AM, Apr 05, 2011

Hi EarlJohn,

With respect to NoteBook for iPad, are you looking for something like the Quick Start Guide that you’ll find in the Help menu of Notebook for Mac? In case you don’t have Notebook for Mac, I’ve attached a PDF of that Quick Start Guide.

---

Regards,

__Eric

Kvincent24

01:20PM, May 07, 2011

Long time user of the Mac version -Just download the app – moved the file to the app using iTunes – it states I has to be saved using the latest version of Mac version.

I have the latest version saved it – it still is not working – please help.

Thanks that worked

Jayson

04:11AM, May 08, 2011

Hello,

Please download the latest version of NoteBook for Mac from our downloads page.

Best,

__jayson

Kvincent24

11:02PM, May 08, 2011

Thanks that worked

adamdelta07

06:01PM, Jan 25, 2012

Has anyone used Cirrus by Archon Apps for custom ipad forms?

You must login to post a comment!

Don't have an account yet? Sign up for one.